Potential Plausible Opponents 19th century

Started by KTravlos, 15 March 2015, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

Good day to all

If you are looking for potential, but plausible 19th century opponents, this list contains all dyads of participants in Militarized Interstate Disputes , that saw the show or use of force, but did not escalate to war in the 1816-1914 period.  That said almost all wars start as MIDs, so this is a list of potential wars.

http://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/p/19th-century-militarized-interstate.html

Hope it fires up your imagination without guilt  :P

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great lists, but would you mind explaining the left hand column and the scores on the right?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

DISNO: Is the COW ID number for the Disputes. I multiple dyad (pairs) share the same dispute number this indicates a multilateral MID

Hostility Level: 4: Military force was used (you will need to look at the COW codebook for the types of actions that count as this). 3: Force was demonstrated (again same). But for example: Attacking and taking a fort: Use of Force. Blockading a Port or Mobilising troops: Demonstration of Force

Reciprocation: Did the actor who was the target of a use of force or demonstration of force reciprocate? 1 yes 0 no. MIDs that see escalatory reciprocations tend to become wars.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thank you, And I thought they were football scores! ;D
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

Well in the orignal datasets there is a "who won" variables :D One could tabulate them and see who sucks in the small conflicts!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I think you'll find, no matter what data set you use, Zanzibar will always come out last!

Last Hussar

So
USA Mexico 1876 1878 4 1
The Yanks started it, use military force, Mexico reponded?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

KTravlos

Being first or second in the dataset I gave you guys does not indicate you was initiator. You will have to explore the source data-sets for that. The other info is correct. Essentially US and Mexican troops engaged in the reciprocal use of force. From the source data sets you could also get the exact use of force m which was a Clash. This meant an exchange of fire between the forces of the two countries though my data does not tell who started it. You will have to go to the original data sets.

Leman

I think clint Eastwood was involved in that particular dust up, and got a fistful of dollars for his trouble.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

1876 is the start of the "Pax Porfiriano" an era of Mexican history noted for it's stability and the subject of a rather good board game of the same name.

Presumably the Americans supported Llerdo de Tejada (the previous president) against Porfirio or vice versa.

Soooo many periods of history I wish I knew more about, so little time!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data