Barbarian Men - War Mammoth, with or without howdah and crew?

Started by cbr3d.com, 06 March 2015, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbr3d.com

Looking at the Barabian Men army list noticed that the War Mammoth is listed as having no shooting ability, is this correct?

The reason for the question is of course if any of the crew in the howdah are archers (which they likely would be).

Aesthetically I think the War Mammoth with howdah would look better on the battlefield rather than one without a howdah, so irrespective of the 'shooting ability' I will be using the 'with howdah' option.

Techno

As things stand (at the moment !  ;)).....I'm going to be putting howdahs on the mammoths !
As far as archers are concerned, the plan WAS to have some of those for the howdahs too !
I'll do some checking with 'The Boss'.

Cheers - Phil

Chieftain

Howdahs and archer son the models are fine.

The archers will obviously shoot, but not with sufficent effect to be represented by a dice roll.

300 lower quality archers shoot with 1d6, so a few dozen archers on the back of a herd of mammoths are going to be '0d6'!   ;)

Model them up though...they'll look great!   :D
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

cbr3d.com

Techno

Chieftain

It certainly is Techno.  I think we're going to see some very different and unique warbands!   :-bd
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Remember to order tusks if you order the howdah'do trunkies!

Barbarian with spear makes a great Mahoot!

http://s214.photobucket.com/user/madlemmey/media/Fantasy%202012/DSCF2150_zpse29435a2.jpg.html

Dagnabbit photobucket and iPhones don't mix, could a moderately moderate moderator sort this please? :x
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: Chieftain on 06 March 2015, 01:39:03 PM
Howdahs and archer son the models are fine.

The archers will obviously shoot, but not with sufficent effect to be represented by a dice roll.

300 lower quality archers shoot with 1d6, so a few dozen archers on the back of a herd of mammoths are going to be '0d6'!   ;)

Model them up though...they'll look great!   :D

That's a really good explanation; really good having the designer "on tap"  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Steeleye

A common mistake made by gamers is that it was the crew that did the fighting on elephants/Mammoths.

In reality it was the animal that did the damage and the crew was there to protect the beast and the driver...I'm told that the quickest way to disable a elephant/mammoth was to kill the driver!

Works pretty well on tanks too!

So unless you've got a mammoth or whatever that's worked out how to shoot a bow using its trunk, no missile effect.

HOWEVER...has any one thought of putting a light bolt thrower on the back of and elephant/mammoth. I can't think of anything from history but in Fantasy, why not!?

Luddite

Quote from: Steeleye on 07 March 2015, 10:20:34 AM
HOWEVER...has any one thought of putting a light bolt thrower on the back of and elephant/mammoth. I can't think of anything from history but in Fantasy, why not!?

The Khmer and Cham armies of the later Medeival period may have had large Chinese 'double bow' artillery mounted on their elephants.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ithoriel

I had a vague memory that the Moghuls had mounted light artillery on elephants but all I can find is pics of camel mounted artillery.

There is a pic of an elephant-mounted mg - an American armed with a Colt M1895. Not used in combat ... and just as well IMHO!!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

A unit of those would liven up my Warmaster Araby army a treat :D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.