Wat no Pikes :'(

Started by Gunhit, 05 March 2015, 11:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunhit

Another fantasy rule set without Pikes. Any reason they were not included in the Dragon Men list?

Any ideas on game mechanics for adding pike blocks to the game?

Adrian

Ithoriel

Quote from: Gunhit on 05 March 2015, 11:16:16 PM
Another fantasy rule set without Pikes. Any reason they were not included in the Dragon Men list?

Any ideas on game mechanics for adding pike blocks to the game?

Adrian

Good, because no fantasy author I've ever read understood the difference between a javelin a spear and a pike. A pointy stick is a pointy stick. So stick with the source material. You want pikes, play historical :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

My Dragon Men at Arms will be pike blocks. It's the stats for the base that count in this game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 05 March 2015, 11:19:50 PM
You want pikes, play historical :)

Indeed, you want a wargame, play historical.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 05 March 2015, 11:26:38 PM
My Dragon Men at Arms will be pike blocks. It's the stats for the base that count in this game.

I'm not arguing against pike-armed fantasy figures, just separate rules for them.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

FOG R; lots of complex rules for pikemen - yawn. :-q

Luddite

FoG and FoG:R, lots of complex rules.  Yawn.   :-q

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

JimLeCat

Hmmm... Men at arms, Resolute, Shieldwall, option of paying for Formed and Powerful for well-trained units?

Don't know how you point that up, though. Chieftain, any hints?

getagrip

Don't need complex rules; just make a simple adjustment for your system which both players agree to.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Steeleye

Suggestion...

Just make pike blocks a little less maneuverable than say spears and a little better than spears against foot and horse.

Pikes are good for rolling over things on good ground. They also lock up a lot of manpower.

Moral wise I'd say they were good to excellent if attacked from the front but poor if attacked from the flank or rear.

Of course these are just rough ideas and I am prejudiced in favour of pikes and I've no idea how the Warband rules work.

Leman

What about their morale?

Chieftain

06 March 2015, 12:03:34 PM #11 Last Edit: 06 March 2015, 12:07:46 PM by Chieftain
Entirely unofficial, but pikes would be covered by the (currently un-tested) 'phalanx' special ability.

PHALANX
Phalanx units are armed with pikes or similar long weapons, and fight in dense and deep formations.  Units with phalanx:

• Suffer -1d6 Motivation if they began the current turn in limiting terrain.

Do not gain any bonuses for a direct charge if any part of that charge is in limiting terrain.

Can make a single 180° turn for free (it does not cost 1BW) during any move in open terrain.

Inflicts a -1d6 Melee penalty on each enemy unit that is locked in melee with the phalanx unit's front edge or corner.  A unit will only suffer this penalty once each turn, irrespective of how many phalanx units may affect it.

Counts its melee ability as 0d6 Melee if fighting in melee to its own flank or rear.

Options would include an agressive phalanx with fierce, and a defensive phalanx resolute.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

getagrip

Is that "up to" 180 degree turn?

Chieftain

No.  It's an 'about face' free 180 degree turn, similar to the Formed special ability.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

getagrip

Quote from: Chieftain on 06 March 2015, 12:14:21 PM
No.  It's an 'about face' free 180 degree turn, similar to the Formed special ability.

I thank you :)