Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I like this comma, and I also like this comma. Winter pansies are pretty and Aussies are sad because they have got like the East Germans over sport, and sport is essentially rather boring. Still, one day they might find something important to be good at.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

I have not begun to rant!

I have just been laying out my list of potential rants. Warming up, so to speak.

I've just added people who think pronouncing foreign words the way they are said in their home tongue. For goodness sake, the French can't even say "Paris" right!

... and Amercanisms. It's a "pavement" not a "sidewalk", a "lift" not an "elevator", and SONAR is ASDIC! 

... and people who apply 21st Century morality to bygone eras.

... and "your 100 best films" which are always led by last year's blockbuster.

... Rap. It's not music. It's barely poetry. It's just talking fast. An auctioneer is far more impressive. 

... and while we're on the subject, R&B is no longer worthy of the title. It should be renamed Bump 'n' Grind.

... and people who don't say "thank you" if you hold the door open for them.

... and winter pansies.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

People who walk in front of you at the supermarket while you're looking at something without even acknowledging your existence as part of the human race.

People who can't use commas properly.

People who go on about commas as if they're something magical.

Winter pansies.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

fsn

... and people who eat with their mouth open

... and perpetual sniffers

... and Pomeranian dogs

... and when someone puts a post-it note on my screen

... and badly formatted documents  >:( >:( >:(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

People who live in :

Sarf Eoast
Wuncorn
Aus
US
and
WALES.

The French cause dey is more arrogant dan what I is.
UKIP - on general principles.

etc etc....

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

Tool packages which actually require you to have tools in the first place to get the buggers open >:(

Fenton

Politicians from any party who have been to public school and then Oxbridge  an then get a job as an aide to another politician and then when trying to get get elected pretend they have had a normal upbringing and know what its like ' out there' in the modern workplace
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

DanJ

QuoteChristmas songs.  All of them.  There is not one single half-decent one out there.

I like 'A Fairy tale of New York' but apart from that I agree and would add any music rubbish enough to make the Brit Awards

Caravans.

People who say "Oh I wish I could do that but I just couldn't" when all they need to do is get off their fat @rs£s and make a bit of effort.

Caravans.

People who boast about being ignorant then ask you to fix their computer.

Caravaners who sit in their caravans and watch Eastenders/Corrie/Emmerdale/ on their caravan TVs - what is the bloody point in cluttering up the roads with thier caravans to just sit in a microcosm of their own front rooms watching the same cr@p on telly as they would at home?

getagrip

Quote from: DanJ on 05 March 2015, 09:41:48 AM
I like 'A Fairy tale of New York' but apart from that I agree and would add any music rubbish enough to make the Brit Awards
Agreed ;)

Quote from: DanJ on 05 March 2015, 09:41:48 AM
Caravaners who sit in their caravans and watch Eastenders/Corrie/Emmerdale/ on their caravan TVs - what is the bloody point in cluttering up the roads with thier caravans to just sit in a microcosm of their own front rooms watching the same cr@p on telly as they would at home?

Good point!  They're also in the same category as the "we like it here" brigade who go the same bloody place every year.

What's the point of that?  Big world, go and see some of it!!!  >:(

Westmarcher

This is good, isn't it?  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Subedai

There's some really good gripes/moans and rants going on here.

#DanJ. Agree about the whole concept of a caravan and the people who have them.

@gatagrip. Big world, oh yeah and contrary to the belief of some people, it is quite nice in a variety of unusual ways.

DanJ. 'Fairy Tale of New York'?? Nah, the bloke has the singing voice of a stunned badger. Greg Lake for me.

#Ianrs54. Apart from the lack of geographical knowledge of some of the residents which makes me chuckle, I like living in the 'Sarf Eost.'

#fsn. Agreed. Our language isn't so much evolving as being subsumed by the influx of Americanisms.

Soap Operas on general principle. These people get paid a mint for re-enacting 'real life'. The sad thing people believe some of this sh*te. 'Celebrity' game/reality shows; the person who invented BB and I'm a Celebrity should build the wall first before standing in front of it. He can go next to the man who invented the saying that 'why let the truth get in the way of a good story' type of reporting. Guilty by Press, all trials should be behind closed doors and only reported on afterwards. Mothers who refuse to allow the father of their child(ren) to see them purely out of spite and despite court orders to the contrary. (not me, someone I know).

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

getagrip

Quote from: Westmarcher on 05 March 2015, 10:23:25 AM
This is good, isn't it?  :)

See, catharsis  :D

We are performing a public service (regardless what some people may say :P ;) :) ).

Orcs

Rant , bloody hell I can rant with the best. Things that P*ss me off well a few of them :-

1  Politicians who fiddle their expenses - sack them and ban them from holding public office ever again. (after they come out of prison)
2  People who apply 21st Century morality to bygone eras.
3  Drivers  who hog the middle or outside lane when the inside lane is empty.
4   Driver who insist on using fog lights when its nots foggy- Its as much an offence as speeding etc.
5  Idealists - You live in a real world get on with it
6  Reality TV shows
7  Benefit Scroungers (I am refering to those that choose to live on benefit because they are too lazy/don't see why they should work)
8   the policy of concurrent sentencing of criminals. If you commit two crimes that carry a 3 year prison term - you should serve 6 Years)
9  The abolition of the Death penalty. Some people need to be removed from society completely.
10 Kiddy fidlers - See 9.
11 Religious extreemists of any religion.
12 Perpetual sniffers - see 9
13 People who plant winter pansies - see 9
14 The Royal Scroungers - see 9
15 People who assume that you are strange because you don't like football
16 So called "Safety cameras" ( They have nothing to do with road safety and are just there to raise money).
17 The Human Rights Act - its been so abused it has becosme a byword for lack of common sense and needs to go
18 People who feel that the "democratric west" have the right to dictate what goes on in other countries. Its there country let them choose how its run and what laws they follow.  If you don't like the laws, don't go there and don't trade with them  
19 People who refuse to accept the laws of the  country they are in. If your caught sh*gging on a beach in Saudi expect to get flogged.  Its thier country and you broke thier laws.

HMMM I feel better now, But like Arnie ! I'll Be back "   ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

If I started.....I'd have to report myself to the moderators, and instantly lock the topic.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

Matt J

cats, they should all be shot.

I live in the middle of the country, I mean my garden is surrounded on all sides by fields yet they still sh*t in my frigging garden.

Plus remove all the cats and see the surge in indigenous wildlife.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep