An Idea for 2016

Started by capthugeca, 04 March 2015, 10:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from: Luddite on 04 March 2015, 05:34:50 PM
Having the medal(s) on your profile is something to be proud of.  Best part of the prize i think.   :)

'Give me enough medals and I'll win you any war'

'You call these baubles, well, it is with baubles that men are led'

- Napoleon Bonaparte
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jchaos79

Quote from: Leon on 04 March 2015, 03:16:17 PM
It's certainly a good idea, although all of the categories allow conversions already.  We'd have to weigh up whether we could support another category with prizes as well, both on our own side and from other companies, as we've already pencilled in a 'Warband' category for the new rules/figures.

Let's make the following prize: Just print the totty forum in book format and send it to the winner of conversions categopry. Cheap and interesting.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

As long as it's only the illustrated posts! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: jchaos79 on 04 March 2015, 10:31:54 PM
Let's make the following prize: Just print the totty forum in book format and send it to the winner of conversions categopry. Cheap and interesting.

But don't show it to your wife!  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

hetairoi

Prizes? I thought we did it for honor and glory!    :-bd

I think a conversion category is a nice idea, but it will be a pity that all the entries with some kind of conversion must be relegated to thin category. I´m saying this because I think I have not presented to the competition a single base without some kind of modification... I like to give my "personal touch" to the minis  :D

However, if we give the same flexibility as the other categories (a barbarian warlord mounted on bison could be entered in "Single base", "Mounted" or "Fantasy" categories) I really think it will be a VERY interesting category  :-\

Cheers!
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com.es/

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2013 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - Winner!

getagrip

Quote from: hetairoi on 05 March 2015, 09:42:55 AM
Prizes? I thought we did it for honor and glory!    :-bd

I think a conversion category is a nice idea, but it will be a pity that all the entries with some kind of conversion must be relegated to thin category. I´m saying this because I think I have not presented to the competition a single base without some kind of modification... I like to give my "personal touch" to the minis  :D

However, if we give the same flexibility as the other categories (a barbarian warlord mounted on bison could be entered in "Single base", "Mounted" or "Fantasy" categories) I really think it will be a VERY interesting category  :-\

Cheers!

I don't think you'd "have" to enter conversions in a conversion category but rather if the conversion was the major element: "hey look at my funky new TECHNique; see what I can do with PHILer" sort of thing; it could go in a separate category.  :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Fenton

Quote from: Hertsblue on 05 March 2015, 08:42:24 AM
But don't show it to your wife!  ;)

You could maybe just pretend its the latest Littlewoods catalogue?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 05 March 2015, 09:48:46 AM
You could maybe just pretend its the latest Littlewoods catalogue?

Have experience of this then? :D

Fenton

I  do indeed but I still haven't managed to get 8 score draws :'(
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

hetairoi

I don't think you'd "have" to enter conversions in a conversion category but rather if the conversion was the major element: "hey look at my funky new TECHNique; see what I can do with PHILer" sort of thing; it could go in a separate category.  Smiley

:)

Obviously, a heavy conversion should be "oriented" to this category.

getagrip

05 March 2015, 11:27:07 AM #25 Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 11:31:10 AM by getagrip
Quote from: Fenton on 05 March 2015, 09:52:13 AM
I  do indeed but I still haven't managed to get 8 score draws :'(

;D

Quote from: hetairoi on 05 March 2015, 10:26:24 AM
:)

Obviously, a heavy conversion should be "oriented" to this category.

Maybe, think it should largely be left to the individual.

Roy

I think the conversion idea, if judging on the discussion so far on this topic, may prove a minefield of misunderstanding and uncertainty as to where to post entries.

Also, the painting competition at present is judged upon the painting and presentation of the entry, not if it is converted or unique. At least that is my understanding. So entries involving conversions or additional sculpting are just slotted into the existing categories and thus help to keep the judge's job simple.

It's a good suggestion, don't get me wrong.  :) 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

hetairoi

QuoteIt's a good suggestion, don't get me wrong.  Smiley 

Keep it simple is always a a good sugestion. The judges job is already hard enough...  ;)

getagrip

Quote from: hetairoi on 05 March 2015, 01:20:13 PM
Keep it simple is always a a good sugestion. The judges job is already hard enough...  ;)

Yeah but it does give Phil a genuine reason for going blind!  :D :D :D

Leman

Unlikely to do that as a conversion can involve using parts from another manufacturers' figures.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!