how many dice frames on a warband base?

Started by cmnash, 02 March 2015, 11:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmnash

hey all, I have a bunch of 10mm fantasy that I started to base up for WM but never finished, and now Warband has me raring to get them based for that and have a go at it!

However, while vaguely planning my bases in my head, I'm wondering about how many dice frames to put on them ....

For command and magic I'm intending to put 2 - 1 to track morale hits and the other for CP & MP respectively

For the others, I was planning on 1 - to track morale - but now I'm wondering whether to use 2 with the 2nd for CPs used on that unit.

Would anyone who's actually played the game give me an idea as to whether it would be worth doing that? or is it easy enough to use counters, dice without a frame or something else?

Thanks in advance, Colin

Chieftain

02 March 2015, 12:04:06 PM #1 Last Edit: 02 March 2015, 12:09:45 PM by Chieftain
Good questions cmnash!

I would suggest:

1 Dice frame on the Commander and magic user for the CP/MP die.
1 Dice frame on each unit for Morale (either loss or accrual depending on your preference).

However, i do think there's an argument to be made for an additional dice frame to mark 'hits' during a turn.  During play testing we used counters or markers for these.

Ultimately it will come down to personal preference, and how much 'battlefield clutter' you want to avoid by herding up this record keeping onto your base.

What do people think?  What are you planning to do?

:)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

AndyT

I like the idea of tracking MP and CP using extra dice frames but wouldn't they need to be D8's for certain levels of commander or magician?

Can you get a small enough D8?

AndyT

And can we get triangular dice frames for them ?  :-\

getagrip

Quote from: AndyT on 02 March 2015, 08:53:49 PM
And can we get triangular dice frames for them ?  :-\

Laughed when I saw that but then thought about it and it's a really good idea  :-bd

Would have to be sold with the d8 to ensure the angles are right.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leon

I not sure if it would work with a D8, you need an upright side to fit within the frame and hold it in place.  The D8's might slide around or fall off as they wouldn't be held as tightly?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

AndyT

It's a tricky one, but being able to track up to 8 MP/CP using a die on the base would be so nice.

Then there's the question of the size of the dice. Is it possible to get small D8's ?

getagrip

Quote from: AndyT on 02 March 2015, 10:04:14 PM
It's a tricky one, but being able to track up to 8 MP/CP using a die on the base would be so nice.

Then there's the question of the size of the dice. Is it possible to get small D8's ?

I think Leon's right; they'd fall off.  I've never seen mini d8s though.

Ithoriel

Two 5mm dice frames wouldn't take up much more space and would let you track up to 12 points?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 March 2015, 10:07:16 PM
Two 5mm dice frames wouldn't take up much more space and would let you track up to 12 points?

Quote from: mad lemmey on 02 March 2015, 10:09:22 PM
Or swap colour of die once you hit 7!

Great ideas.  Will's would take some discipline though  :-\

paulr

One thing that I think would be really useful would be dice that weren't so brightly coloured. Sort of a mid green rather than the bright green, red etc that seem to be available. That would help them blend into the bases a bit more :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

Quote from: paulr on 02 March 2015, 10:27:56 PM
One thing that I think would be really useful would be dice that weren't so brightly coloured. Sort of a mid green rather than the bright green, red etc that seem to be available. That would help them blend into the bases a bit more :-\

See where you're going with that but,  for me,  I need the buggers to stand out or I forget.  :)

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner