Dux Bellorum River Battle - Campaign Game 2

Started by Steve J, 01 March 2015, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Dave Fielder and I met up last week for game 2 of our campaign, details of which can be found below:

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/river-battle-campaign-game-2.html

getagrip

Nice batrep; didn't look like that took too long.  Pretty bloody affair! :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

jchaos79

Pretty nice, really like your reports.

So you are moving to Black Powder? any ideas of the forces of Dave or yours for BP games?

paulr

Another good looking game and interesting report :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bodvoc

Really good stuff, must have go at these rules soon.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Quotedidn't look like that took too long.  Pretty bloody affair!

Yep, pretty bloody and quick. The closer deployment meant battle was joined very quickly. Nice to have a different feel to the game.

QuoteSo you are moving to Black Powder? any ideas of the forces of Dave or yours for BP games?

Not sure just yet. Definitely some 1866 or 1870 games at some point, but I think the kick off games might be Napoleonic. Dave is much more au fait with this period so will go with his suggestions.

getagrip

Quote from: Steve J on 01 March 2015, 09:28:34 PM
Yep, pretty bloody and quick. The closer deployment meant battle was joined very quickly. Nice to have a different feel to the game.

Agreed, nice for a change but doesn't leave much room for manoeuver don't you find?

Leman

I am looking more closely at Blackpowder, both for SYW and FPW. The latter can be put together using the basic templates at the back of the book plus knowledge of the period to devise some interesting army lists. My first attempt is to be Villers Brettoneux, the Prussian right flank of the battle of Amiens. Meanwhile I will take a closer look at the SYW Prussians. At the moment, "thanks" to the BP supplement book, the Prussians are far too powerful, even when fewer than the Austrians, which is not giving good games. Historically the Austrians won several encounters with Frederick so his troops are going to need to be marginally less powerful. Further, I think the command stats for Frederick in the supplement book are ridiculously high. It has led to both of my regular opponents using him as a brigade commander and virtually never failing to move stuff. I am not convinced that the Austrians were always acting light frightened rabbits caught in headlights whenever Frederick was around.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

QuoteAgreed, nice for a change but doesn't leave much room for manoeuver don't you find?

I think we had two turns of movement before combat was joined. So certainly less movement but you had to think about your initial deployment carefully. Definitely nice to have a change of feel in the game.

getagrip

Quote from: Steve J on 02 March 2015, 02:01:26 PM
I think we had two turns of movement before combat was joined. So certainly less movement but you had to think about your initial deployment carefully. Definitely nice to have a change of feel in the game.

Like it :)

Have you ever tried a battle with combat already joined?

It's a good way of speeding up a big siege game ie: have troops already attacking one or more breaches. ;)