10mm Grimdark Conversions

Started by Atavus, 26 February 2015, 11:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atavus

After turning the idea over in my head for a few days, it transipres that the old-style sci-fi battle armour troopers make pretty good 'Spehs Mareen' proxies with a bit of work.  Who'da thunk it?  Now I'm out to reclaim a bit of my youth with a little 10mm rogue trader era gaming.

Here's a commander that I converted from the pointing pose (WIP - I'll be sharpening up the details on the pistol, and then calling him finished):

...And here's a mk VI 'womble' marine to show that not everything has to be quite so intensive on the converting front (I think the helmet came out a little too big, but I still like how it turned out):

Having spent some time perusing the old sci-fi range, I have found easy solutions for pretty much every troop type except scouts (rogue trader-era, so puffy sleeves and mohawks are the key imagery for them) and terminators.

If anybody has any suggestions for models that would be good as the basis for either of these, I would love to hear them.  So far, I'm considering the new power armoured model for terminators, if it is a little larger than the old battle armour guys, and I am at a complete mental standstill finding ideas for the scouts.  The old unarmoured marines are the obvious choice, but it would be difficult to arm them with pistols and knives, so suggestions for a more varied range/pack would be great.

Thanks in advance guys!

getagrip

Awesome work; a real blast from the past to see Womble marines again  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ithoriel

Brilliant work! Very, very impressive indeed!

For scouts, have you considered the officer from the English Civil War range - EC 19 - Scots Foot Command? Might work as a basis for them.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

An impressive debut post  =D>

Welcome :-h
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jambo1

Good job, they look really good. :)

Techno

Welcome to the forum, Atavus. :-h
Damn fine work !  :-bd
Lovely finish on the wee men.....You've obviously done this before.
Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Welcome on board and those are GREAT conversions! Well done.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Jc

Great work,but look out for the cease & desist,or  a job offer,on minimum wage of course.

Subedai

Very nice. I love the term 'Womble Marines', never heard it before. (Shelterd upbringing in the historical field you understand.)
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Quote from: Subedai on 27 February 2015, 02:43:52 PM
(Sheltered upbringing in a field you understand.)

Must be a tad cold, thought you might at least have a Yurt.

IanS

BLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH  WIBBBBBLE
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Atavus

Wow!  That's a lot of responses in a short time!  Thank you all for the kind words and welcomes.   :)

Thanks for the scout tip, Ithoriel.  That ECW officer certainly has potential.  Love the default pose, and it also has the advantage of being open enough to convert into a guy wielding any sort of weapon (he's even wearing carapace armour already).  Using ECW models never crossed my mind, but you've got me thinking now...

I have indeed done this sort of thing before, Techno.  This year will mark 28 years in the wargaming hobby for me.  Mostly spent converting and painting, but the sculpting is something that has really developed over the last few years.  Praise from a sculptor like yourself is a high accolade for me indeed.

Oh, and a C&D or minimum wage job offer, Jc?  I don't know which one would be more intimidating, but I guess either one would be a kind of sculpting rite of passage!

I'll add updates to this thread as I get more things completed for this project.  Currently, there's a flamer conversion waiting for the putty to cure, and then a trip to lead mountain to try and excavate some more of these minis to convert, or ruminate on how rummaging might damage the delicate balance of the lead pile, and start contemplating a fresh order instead.

Luddite

27 February 2015, 04:26:16 PM #13 Last Edit: 27 February 2015, 04:27:54 PM by Luddite
Quote from: Atavus on 27 February 2015, 04:01:49 PM
Wow!  That's a lot of responses in a short time!  

Yeah, that happens around here.  Comes from not being a ghost town.   ;D

Quoteand start contemplating a fresh order instead.

Why contemplate?  You know is makes sense.   :d

OH...and, yeah i'll add my tupenny bit to the chorus of approval.  Excellent womble.  Oldhammer rocks.   m/
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leman

the Pendraken Dark Elves have very puffy sleeves. In fact, they look to have come from Renaissance Italy.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!