Rule mechanics?

Started by Nick B, 25 February 2015, 11:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick B

Hi,

I am inteterested in the rules but cannot find any information of the rule mechanics. I have seen the page spreads on Beast of War and the AAR but these aren't very enlightening.

Is there a synopsis anywhere, please? Info I am after includes

How do you activate units?
Are measurements in base widths?
How does attack/save work?
What is there in the rules – such as movement restrictions, opportuinity/reaction moves, etc
Are there any generic scenarios, flank marches, ambush rules etc?
How does army morale/victory conditions work?

Whilst I can guess at most of the abbreviations on the army roster – can you give a definition of each, please?

Obviously I'm not looking for you to effectively copy the rules here - just an overview to see if they fit with what I like or would be looking for, before I buy.

Many thanks

Nick

getagrip

I'd second this Nick; as a Warmaster fan is it worth me taking the plunge? ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Nosher

Hi Nick

I've emailed you buddy ;)

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nick B

Thanks for the summary Paul.

Looks good - will have to get a copy. I wondered about using those Samurai figures I picked up ages ago.

How did you manage to sneak these past Claire?  ;)

Cheers

Nick

Chieftain

How do you activate units?
With a dice roll.  The unit has its own pool of dice and this is increased or decreased by battlefield conditional modifiers and command influence.  The more successes to roll, the further your unit can move.  The success threshold for each dice never changes (4+).
This is the core mechanic and is used for all task rolls.

Are measurements in base widths?
Yes.

How does attack/save work?
As per the movement test above, in both cases. 
'Saves' aren't resolved until the end of the turn and a unit has suffered all the potential hits is will take.

What is there in the rules – such as movement restrictions, opportuinity/reaction moves, etc
Basic moves are highly flexible.  If attempting to charge an enemy unit, or move around close to an enemy, restrictions apply.
Reaction moves are possible as a result of special abilities.  For example, skirmishers can evade (under certain conditions).

Are there any generic scenarios,
Yes
flank marches, ambush rules etc?
Not in the core rules...

How does army morale/victory conditions work?
A warband breaks (and loses the game) when it loses units equal to half its points value.

Whilst I can guess at most of the abbreviations on the army roster – can you give a definition of each, please?
Motivation – how likely the unit is to move
Move – how far it moves if motivated (base widths)
Shoot – how well it shoots if armed with ranged weapons
Range – how far it shoots (base widths)
Melee – how well it fights in melee
Protection – how effective it is in staving off hits from shooting, melee, and other sources
Morale – how many unprotected hits is takes to rout the unit

Additionally:
Command points – how much command influence a commander unit can exert for the turn (enhancing his troops abilities and rallying routed units
Magic points – how much magic a magic-user unit can cast during a turn
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Nick B

Many thanks - that's really helpful.

All sounds great - I'm sold!  :D

Nosher

Quote from: Nick B on 25 February 2015, 01:41:16 PM
Thanks for the summary Paul.

Looks good - will have to get a copy. I wondered about using those Samurai figures I picked up ages ago.

How did you manage to sneak these past Claire?  ;)

Cheers

Nick

The Samurai would look cool. an 'alternative' Dragon Men army or Samurai Apes!

Timed perfectly to arrive whilst SWMBO was at work ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leon

Quote from: Nick B on 25 February 2015, 04:12:21 PM
All sounds great - I'm sold!  :D

Thanks for the order, all sorted and ready to go out in tomorrow's post.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!