World at War

Started by Fenton, 22 February 2015, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

This series used to be part of the schools curriculum. I can remember a huge TV being rolled into the classroom in primary school.

Methinks it should be re-introduced. The school kids today are taught more about the Vietnam War :(
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

getagrip

Quote from: Nosher on 25 February 2015, 06:20:22 PM
I can remember a huge TV being rolled into the classroom in primary school.

How brilliant were the TV lessons as a kid?

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Roy

We were taught GCSE History using certain episodes of Blackadder Goes Forth to help get across the textbook/dictated information.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

getagrip

25 February 2015, 08:04:50 PM #18 Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 08:25:12 PM by getagrip
Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 25 February 2015, 08:03:26 PM
We were taught GCSE History using certain episodes of Blackadder Goes Forth to get across the textbook/dictated information.

I often use the final episode when we're looking at Wilfred Owen and Jessie Pope.

Powerful beyond words.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Roy

We were also taught during Year 7 (when the Head Teacher decided to take the class) by a woman wearing a white bed sheet, supposedly representing a toga, while she cast herself as Julius Caesar and talked with a dodgy accent.

Thankfully, I was only ever taught history by a proper history teacher after that.   
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

mollinary

It was a great series, and I am sure was a superb teaching aid. Many, many moons ago, when the world was young, I used the "In Search of the Trojan War" series by Michael Wood as a teaching aid for very bright 12 year olds. The work they produced in response was simply superb, and just made me realise how uninspiring my normal lessons were! The series inspired me, and it certainly inspired them. The only downside was the pressure they put on their parents to buy the book of the series!  :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!