Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
27 May 2020, 12:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've been producing PPE equipment for the frontline workers.
299314 Posts in 17606 Topics by 2238 Members
Latest Member: Ave75
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Pendraken Rules!
| |-+  Warband (Moderator: Chieftain)
| | |-+  Warband Rules and figures - Now available!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warband Rules and figures - Now available!  (Read 42904 times)
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2015, 03:13:12 PM »

Is that's because it's in "bold?"

Kind of, it's not bold but the letters are filled in which requires more time and a different method by the machine.  With engraved outlines of lettering, it will simply draw the lines as a person would with a pen, no bother.  When the letters are required to be all filled in, the laser machine does side to side sweeps across the MDF instead, with the laser flickering on and off as it makes each pass, slowly building up the letters from the base up.  This is the time consuming bit, but the solid letters look so much better on the finished product.

Cool

www.pendraken.co.uk - Home to over 3500 products of shiny 10mm goodness!
www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Crossover Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
Fenton
Lieutenant General

« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2015, 03:14:04 PM »

Kind of, it's not bold but the letters are filled in which requires more time and a different method by the machine.  With engraved outlines of lettering, it will simply draw the lines as a person would with a pen, no bother.  When the letters are required to be all filled in, the laser machine does side to side sweeps across the MDF instead, with the laser flickering on and off as it makes each pass, slowly building up the letters from the base up.  This is the time consuming bit, but the solid letters look so much better on the finished product.

Cool

Would a blank token and a free felt tip pen be easier?

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!
Fenton
Lieutenant General

« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2015, 03:20:08 PM »

Like these A LOT!

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/WAR-MVT5-p7157/

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2015, 03:20:46 PM »

Would a blank token and a free felt tip pen be easier?

Maybe!   Cheesy

Cool

www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Crossover Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
Hamish
Cadet

« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2015, 07:37:26 PM »

I've just finished reading the rules cover to cover. Very impressed, especially with the variety and versatility of the army lists, as well as the acknowledgment of allies and mercs. Can't wait to give this a try. I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2015, 09:27:33 PM »

The Warband rules have jumped straight to No.4 on the Wargame Vault 'Hottest Titles' lists! 

http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php

Thumbs up

I've just finished reading the rules cover to cover. Very impressed, especially with the variety and versatility of the army lists, as well as the acknowledgment of allies and mercs. Can't wait to give this a try. I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.

Thanks for the comment, glad you like them!  I'll let Chieftain reply re the siege options.

Chieftain
Lieutenant

« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.

There is quite a bit of additional material that didn't make it into the final cut of the rules.  There was a lot of discussion around format, page numbers, what to put in and leave out to give a decent set of core rules. 

It's safe to say that siege warfare was bumped. 

Who, knows, we may see something along those lines in the future.   Undecided

Fortified terrain nearly made it in, with the ability to garrison a small castle, but the idea of having a full city, with walls etc. was tried, but not fully developed.  Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   Grin

Official Guru of our Warband rules!
Hamish
Cadet

« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2015, 11:33:16 PM »

Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   Grin

Yes. Who indeed *sweats nervously*. But seriously, I like the streamlined nature of these rules. There's the fluffly stuff like magic and monsters but when it boils down to it, it seems like tactical thinking will be more important in Warband than anything flashy like that. I like the formatting of the book, though in the army lists section, under the options area I would have bolded the special rules that are in the midsentence like you have done with unit names in the unit descriptions. For example under options in the Goblins & Orcs section the top line reads 'The chieftain unit may have fierce for +5pts or shieldwall for +5tpts' Id have bolded fierce and shieldwall. Also in the undead section it starts out 'The sour lands' which should be capitalized as 'The Sour Lands' if it's a proper noun. Finally on the back cover there seems to be a missing 's'; 'Warband provide all the rules you need to...' surely it should read 'Warband provides all the rules...' All this is really just me being a massive pedant though, I'm just trying to help, seriously no offence meant.  Tongue
Chieftain
Lieutenant

« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2015, 11:53:17 PM »

None taken!

Hopefully you'll find that tactical skill will win you your games.   Smiley

Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2015, 02:16:39 AM »

Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   Grin

Well, I've managed it in 6mm.

Leon ... I MAY need some bigger bases Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
AndyT
Lieutenant

« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2015, 04:09:37 PM »

I've taken the plunge and bought a PDF of the rules.

I will order a starter army later today - probably Goblins/Orcs because they are new and I am drawn to new shiny toys !

I suspect that a friend of mine may go for Barbarians but that might depend on where the miniatures are in Pendraken's "revamp" queue.

The biggest challenge I think will be deciding what to do to make the big unit bases look special, with terrain and maybe some battlefield clutter.
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2015, 04:18:10 PM »

I suspect that a friend of mine may go for Barbarians but that might depend on where the miniatures are in Pendraken's "revamp" queue.

The biggest challenge I think will be deciding what to do to make the big unit bases look special, with terrain and maybe some battlefield clutter.

Your friend might be happy quite soon then...  Wink

The big bases look excellent, we're just finishing up the first of our painted sets for the website photos and the 25-foot packs fit really nicely onto the bases.

Cool

AndyT
Lieutenant

« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2015, 04:35:07 PM »

Good news on the Barbarians but I don't think a 25-foot pack will fit in my letterbox  Wink Cheesy
Chieftain
Lieutenant

« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2015, 04:40:02 PM »

Your friend might be happy quite soon then...  Wink

The big bases look excellent, we're just finishing up the first of our painted sets for the website photos and the 25-foot packs fit really nicely onto the bases.

Cool

They certainly do.  

It's almost as if there was an experiment-based design decision behind choosing 100x50mm.   Wink

And barbarians?  Mammoths and bison-riders, and hawk-men?  What's not to love?   Love struck
« Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 04:41:34 PM by Chieftain » Logged

Leon
Viscount

« Reply #29 on: 20 February 2015, 04:41:11 PM »

It's almost as if there was an experiment-based design decision behind choosing 100x50mm.   Wink

Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: