Editing Posts

Started by Sean Clark, 13 August 2010, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

Once your posts are up on a thread, is there anyway of going back and editing it?
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Leon

Yep, top right corner of the post, there's a 'Modify' button, just hit that.

There's actually a Guide to using the Forum, which I put together when we launched.  Not sure how many people have used it!  It's here if you want to have a browse: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=122.0
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sean Clark

Leon

I have read the guide and very informative it is too :)

However it seems once a post has been replied to the modify feature goes leaving just the quote button.

Reason i am asking is I was going to add names to the initial post in theTale of X gamers thread as people expressed interest but the modify button has gone.  :(

Thanks

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast

Leon

Ah, that must be something that's different in the Moderator settings.  I'll ask Matt about it, but it could be on some type of a time limit.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

14 August 2010, 12:27:26 AM #4 Last Edit: 14 August 2010, 02:17:45 AM by lentulus
Common enough; there are some forums where people get awfully snotty when they quote you and you change your post.  

If you want to start a "sign up" thread folks could just post their intent there.

oops, thank goodness I still had time to correct my spelling of "their"  :P

Sean Clark

God's Own Scale podcast

Megamatman

Quote from: lentulus on 14 August 2010, 12:27:26 AM
Common enough; there are some forums where people get awfully snotty when they quote you and you change your post.  

If you want to start a "sign up" thread folks could just post their intent there.

oops, thank goodness I still had time to correct my spelling of "their"  :P

I'm not sure if I'm following you Lentulus?

Do you mean email notifications to topic replies? If you do.... you can click 'Notify' at the top of any thread and you'll receive an email notification for every new reply.
Megamatman

Leon

No, we're on about the 'Modify' function.  It's there for us as Moderator's, but doesn't seem to be there for everyone?  Lentulus is on about other Forums where people make a post, people quote them and then they go back and change their original posts.

Is the 'Modify' post option on some kind of time limit?

Megamatman

Quote from: salagam on 13 August 2010, 09:24:19 PM
Once your posts are up on a thread, is there anyway of going back and editing it?

Yeah, click the button within your post/reply to make an edit.

You can only make edits within 2 hours of your initial post and there is a 90 second wait period between edits.  Both measures are to preserve the accuracy of threads and to reduce load on the server. If you need any changes making after that time, other than spelling correction, (i.e. url correction etc) you can pm me or Leon and we can do it for you.

Matt
Megamatman

Megamatman

Quote from: Leon on 14 August 2010, 10:38:33 PM
No, we're on about the 'Modify' function.  It's there for us as Moderator's, but doesn't seem to be there for everyone?  Lentulus is on about other Forums where people make a post, people quote them and then they go back and change their original posts.

Is the 'Modify' post option on some kind of time limit?

:-[

Yeah, I understand that.... I thought Lentulus was talking about something else....

I should stop skip reading!  :D
Megamatman

Test Account

14 August 2010, 10:50:27 PM #10 Last Edit: 14 August 2010, 10:57:11 PM by Test Account
This is a test...

(this is a test edit)

Matt

Megamatman

Quote from: Megamatman on 14 August 2010, 10:42:16 PM
...there is a 90 second wait period between edits...

Sorry, let me rephrase that......... the 90 second wait period doesn't affect *actual* edits. It relates to the logging of edits for Moderation and Admin purposes. So as a user, in terms of editing posts, the 2 hour edit time limit is the only thing that will affect you.

M

Megamatman

Megamatman

Quote from: Megamatman on 14 August 2010, 10:42:16 PM
Yeah, click the button within your post/reply to make an edit....

btw, you can also use on your posts/replies to access the full wysiwyg editior but the 2 hour restriction also applies (I hope!  :))

Matt
Megamatman