English Grammar

Started by Leman, 17 February 2015, 07:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Well, the best thing that ever happened to Shakespeare was being punched in the face by Blackadder,
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 19 February 2015, 07:49:13 AM
Well, the best thing that ever happened to Shakespeare was being punched in the face by Blackadder,

That was funny  ;D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Should have been one C. Dickens.....by far the most tedious author in the English language.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

19 February 2015, 10:18:14 AM #93 Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 10:52:53 AM by getagrip
Oscar Wilde:  "it would take a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing"  ;)

Subedai

Quote from: ianrs54 on 19 February 2015, 10:06:39 AM
Should have been one C. Dickens.....by far the most tedious author in the English language.

IanS

Never read any of his books, or any of the other so called classics for that matter.

I'm sure I read somewhere that like Alexander Dumas, his writings were first serialised in one of the contemporary newspapers so he would draw stuff out for as long as possible.

I tried reading Moby Dick once but found myself skipping whole chapters because it was soooo boring.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Quote from: Subedai on 19 February 2015, 10:43:40 AM
I tried reading Moby Dick once but found myself skipping whole chapters because it was soooo boring.

THAT brings back memories of 'reading' Moby Dick in a slim 'book' where you had to collect large stick-on stamps (couple of inches square ?) and pop them in the appropriate parts of the text.
Stroll on....That must have been 50+ years ago.......Can't remember the story at all.....Got a vague recollection of one stamp where Capt Ahab (?) is about to hurl a harpoon at his nemesis.

Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Crappy story, badly written; let it die!!!

Leman

It would appear that fiction is very much a question of personal preference, but on the whole I have to agree with the tedium strand of the above contributors. However I think we need to bear in mind that Victorian novels were written at a time when certain social mores were to the fore (especially among the newly educated middle classes) and there were few other evening distractions. To force such a diet on modern youngsters does indeed, as Getagrip says, appear to be just plain cruel.

Roy

Mr. Dicken's presents ... A Christmas Rasta Party!

Jah Rastafari!
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

getagrip

Leman

;D ;D ;D ;D

Marley should invite him for a night out on the tiles.

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 19 February 2015, 11:44:29 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Marley should invite him for a night out on the tiles.

=D> =D> =D>

Obscure but clever ;)

Subedai

Quote from: Techno on 19 February 2015, 10:59:01 AM
THAT brings back memories of 'reading' Moby Dick in a slim 'book' where you had to collect large stick-on stamps (couple of inches square ?) and pop them in the appropriate parts of the text.
Stroll on....That must have been 50+ years ago.......Can't remember the story at all.....Got a vague recollection of one stamp where Capt Ahab (?) is about to hurl a harpoon at his nemesis.

Cheers - Phil

Brooke Bond collectable cards in the packets of loose tea and Green Shield Stamps yes, but Moby Dick in stamps...no, sorry.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

From reading all the above comments isnt this the reason Classics illustrated were printed ?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

Yes. Anybody seen Classic's 'The Debacle" about Sedan and after, although, to be honest, it's a pretty good novel in English translation anyway, and a must for FPW fans.