English Grammar

Started by Leman, 17 February 2015, 07:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

Language evolves to its usage; always has, always will.

If you look at the language of Shakespeare (and my degree was in exactly that) the language of the time is almost unintelligible to a modern English speaker.  This was only 500 years ago!

We can argue about the rights and wrongs but it is going to happen.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ithoriel

Quote from: getagrip on 17 February 2015, 11:01:00 AM
If you look at the language of Shakespeare (and my degree was in exactly that)

Are you saying you're so old they taught you in Middle English ... Oh! ... No! ... Wait! .... OK .... I see what you mean ;)

More seriously, I agree that language changes and evolves, which, so far as I'm concerned, is as it should be.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 February 2015, 11:35:33 AM
Are you saying you're so old they taught you in Middle English ... Oh! ... No! ... Wait! .... OK .... I see what you mean ;)

;D

At times it did feel like that especially when we started the phonic construction of middle English.  I've used it every day of the last 18 years of my career...hmm... :-\

Westmarcher

WTF  Gadzooks!  "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." (Captain Jack Sparrow).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

tis an area that i'm always bothered about (especially on forums, where i've to type everything). got kicked out of english gcse at school and didn't learn much prior to the expulsion.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

getagrip

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 17 February 2015, 12:21:17 PM
tis an area that i'm always bothered about (especially on forums, where i've to type everything). got kicked out of english gcse at school and didn't learn much prior to the expulsion.

The most important function of grammar is to make yourself understood so, if you can achieve that, there's no problem  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

dont forget one of the great irish novels of the c20th was written without punctuation - ulysses by james joice its unreadable im told

ians
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Quote from: Subedai on 17 February 2015, 10:45:12 AM

Call me a Luddite -no offence intended,

I'd never be offended to be called someone who wanted a living wage for living work!

Ned got painted (unsurprisingly) in a very bad light.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Quote from: toxicpixie on 17 February 2015, 12:40:06 PM
Ned got painted (unsurprisingly) in a very bad light.

Photo of the figure please.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

That help?

I think one of the Pendraken civvies packs has a suitable figure for you ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

The Transvestite Revolutionary Front?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

FierceKitty

Ah, yes. The age-old right of man to insist that your right to do something badly is sacred, and the hell with everyone else who's footing the bill.

I hate to agree with Ian about anything, but I've never been able to read more than fifty pages into Joyce.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Subedai

I've heard of James Joyce...but never never read any of his comics, did he write the storylines for Marvel while Stan Lee drew the pictures?

And I am complete agreement with FK on this one. Two wrongs definitely do not make a right.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

IIRC a Victorian clergyman decided to 'standardise' spelling and grammar at some point in the 19th Century and so have been saddled with his whims ever since. When I was at school in the 70s grammar was not fashionable and so we were only taught the basics. I find many of my Austrian friends have a better grasp of English grammar than I!!!