English Grammar

Started by Leman, 17 February 2015, 07:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Subedai on 19 February 2015, 12:34:22 PM
Brooke Bond collectable cards in the packets of loose tea and Green Shield Stamps yes, but Moby Dick in stamps...no, sorry.

Thinking about it....... 8-}

I've got a feeling, that the books actually came with all the 'stamps' to fill in the 'missing pictures' just within the covers....It was your task, to cut them out and pop them in the appropriate places.
Like I said....I'm pretty sure it was over 50 years ago.  X_X ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 19 February 2015, 12:56:55 PM
....It was your task, to cut them out and pop them in the appropriate places.

That might explain why you can't recall (couldn't follow?) the story?  ;)  :)

Quote from: Leman on 19 February 2015, 11:44:29 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Marley should invite him for a night out on the tiles.
;D  =D> ;D
Good ones, Leman and Roy (took a while for the penny to drop, Leman). With the Moby Dick connection, surprised no-one's mentioned Bob Marley and the Wailers yet.  :)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

On a thread entitled "English Grammar"

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 19 February 2015, 11:29:05 AM
Mr. Dicken's presents ... A Christmas Rasta Party!

b0110x.  :'(
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 19 February 2015, 01:07:45 PM
That might explain why you can't recall (couldn't follow?) the story?  ;)  :) ;D  =D> ;D
DEFINITELY !!  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

I was reading a post on another forum paying tribute(?) to the passing of a famous Glasgow criminal defence lawyer, Joe Beltrami, at the age of 83 (one of his sons is Deputy Chief Prosecutor in Wales). Recalling that dialects were discussed earlier, I wondered how the following anecdote would 'translate' with those of you who have little to no knowledge of "Parliamo Glasgow."

While a law student at Strathclyde Yooni, our class was encouraged to visit the courts to get an idea of what was going on.
One time I watched a "domestic abuse" case and the bold Joe was asking the wee Glesga wifie "So, Mrs McGlumpher, these beatings that your husband perpetrated on you, were they rare?" The wifie replied, "Rerr? Naw they wurny rerr, they were bloody awful!"

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

[Serious post]

I have been asked by some (well, the voices in my head) to attempt an explanation of the above. I don't think I can. But here is a clue for those of you who have said, "Eh?" in your various dialects and languages.

Some may disagree, but the word "rare" is most commonly used to mean scarce or not found in large numbers.
However, for many Glaswegians (and West of Scotland) folks, the word "rerr" (rare) means something is 'good,' 'enjoyable,' 'excellent,' 'first-rate.'
The words "Naw" and "wurny" mean 'No' and 'were not' respectively.

For this those who are from foreign parts or too young, "Parliamo Glasgow" was the subject of a series of TV sketches by Scottish Actor and Comedian, Stanley Baxter, to teach the unique vernacular of Glasgow to non-Glaswegians in a humorous way. Unintelligible to many native English speakers, let alone the city's burgeoning population of east European immigrants, a Scottish bus company has now taken steps to teach their Polish drivers "the Patter" to help them understand their passengers. For example.

Sanoffy cauld day – It is an awfully cold day

Wan and three weans to Scotstoun – A single and three halfs to Scotstoun

Wan tae the Croass – A single to Charing/Anniesland Cross, etc

Gie's a hon wi the messages – Please help me (give me a hand) with my groceries.

Wharlla stick ma wean's buggie? – Where's the space for my child's pushchair?

Awayyego, it's nivir that dear! – It can't be that expensive!

As Sean Connery once said, "Here endeth the lesson."

..... the things you do to pass the time when you can't sleep .... sorry for boring everyone ... off to bed now

Roy

[not a serious post]

With thanks to Benny Hill:

"What's that in the road. A head?"

"No. No. No. Not a head. Ahead. What's that in the road ahead?"

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No Fork handles....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 03 March 2015, 10:52:08 AM
[not a serious post]

With thanks to Benny Hill:

"What's that in the road. A head?"

"No. No. No. Not a head. Ahead. What's that in the road ahead?"

Another of his:

Two cowboys talking, one has his leg in plater.
1 'How do yer come to break yer leg?'
2 'I didn't come to break ma leg, I came to see your sister, but I brake ma leg.'

On Special Offers in shops:

'You can tell your friends to pee off.'
Should be 'You can tell your friends 2p off.'

His Oriental Customs Officer to Bob Todd's Asian Continent person was hysterical. A product of it's time I hasten to add to get the bl**dy PC police off my case.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!