[POLL] Which army are you planning to start with?

Started by Chieftain, 14 February 2015, 02:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There are twelve armies in the Warband rules, which should give you a good selection to choose from.  Simple question - which army are you planning to start first?

Barbarian men
3 (7.1%)
Dark elves
5 (11.9%)
Dragon men
9 (21.4%)
Eldritch vampires
0 (0%)
Goblins
16 (38.1%)
High elves
8 (19%)
Hill dwarves
15 (35.7%)
Lizard men
3 (7.1%)
Samurai apes
4 (9.5%)
Taurians
3 (7.1%)
Undead
11 (26.2%)
Wood elves
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

OldenBUA

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 March 2015, 09:50:20 AM
I think barbarians must be the least useful description in wargaming. Whom does it exclude, from some viewpoint or other?

People who shave?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Barbarian - not Greeks, Enemy - Greek from another city.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 March 2015, 09:50:20 AM
I think barbarians must be the least useful description in wargaming. Whom does it exclude, from some viewpoint or other?

And yet the target audience - those interested in Fantasy battle games - understand it perfectly.

Pedantry ... causing confusion since the development of speech :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

08 March 2015, 02:06:25 PM #64 Last Edit: 08 March 2015, 02:09:11 PM by getagrip
Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 March 2015, 01:51:12 PM
And yet the target audience - those interested in Fantasy battle games - understand it perfectly.

Pedantry ... causing confusion since the development of speech :)

Hear hear ;)

Pedantry... causing confusion for 103 years, 7 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 27 seconds :D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Luddite

08 March 2015, 02:26:30 PM #65 Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 11:05:58 PM by Chieftain
Good points!

Barbarian in a fantasy context has a specific meaning that is lacking in the historical context.

That's not of course limiting players in making theor 'barbarian' army look pretty much how they like.  

Goblin figures for Necrons Dogs as 'barbarians'?

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

jchaos79

Tygra fire and ice... delicious!

waiting fo recieve the ruleset, read it and the choose the army to build

AndyT

Or, if you are like me, receive the rules, read them and be even more confused because you want all the armies !

AndyT

I still haven't had the chance to play a game of Warband yet but I've been looking through the army lists and trying to work out how the different armies might play.

The undead look very interesting - low Protection but high Motivation so easy to damage, hard to kill (?) but boy are their commanders expensive! I wonder if a horde approach might work - lots of cheap units - quantity over quality?

Really I'd like to try all of the armies out  :D

Upgraydd

Quote from: AndyT on 19 March 2015, 08:53:41 PM
Really I'd like to try all of the armies out  :D

I'm with you Andy, normally there is a faction or two that sticks out but with Warband they all have appeal and you can get quite a variety with what are relatively simple lists.

because 10mm are quick to paint I'm thinking of putting together small armies for each and then focus on what I have enjoyed painting and playing with the most...or just whichever has the best figures...or some other criteria  :-/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cbr3d.com

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 March 2015, 09:33:53 PM
Do Troll Centaurs feature anywhere?  ;) :P

One of the armies I have on order are the old Centaurs to which I am adding Troll Centaurs, most probably use as 'allies or mercenaries' initially, and then trying to work out some house rules for a complete Warband of Centaurs.   :D

Leon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 March 2015, 09:33:53 PM
Do Troll Centaurs feature anywhere?  ;) :P

They're not listed in any of the armies currently, as they were an odd little conversion done more for fun really.  We may add them to the new ranges at some point, but that would be some way down the line.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

You can always use the models in a unit of trolls.  Or centaurs.  Or some other beastie.   ;)

Chieftain

Quote from: Fig.ht on 22 March 2015, 12:11:28 AM
and then trying to work out some house rules for a complete Warband of Centaurs.   :D

Houserules?

The Taurians can already be a complete warband of centaurs.   ;)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!