[POLL] Which army are you planning to start with?

Started by Chieftain, 14 February 2015, 02:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There are twelve armies in the Warband rules, which should give you a good selection to choose from.  Simple question - which army are you planning to start first?

Barbarian men
3 (7.1%)
Dark elves
5 (11.9%)
Dragon men
9 (21.4%)
Eldritch vampires
0 (0%)
Goblins
16 (38.1%)
High elves
8 (19%)
Hill dwarves
15 (35.7%)
Lizard men
3 (7.1%)
Samurai apes
4 (9.5%)
Taurians
3 (7.1%)
Undead
11 (26.2%)
Wood elves
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Chieftain

Quote from: Bodvoc on 19 February 2015, 10:20:44 AM
I ... will be using my Normans as Dragon Men with a few fantasy extras.

An excellent idea!

I can't wait to see them.   :)

Since the rules don't set out what each warband 'should' look like it will be very interesting to see how people build their own versions of the various armies.  This flexibility is intentional really.  Go on!  Be creative!!   :D
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Techno

Quote from: getagrip on 19 February 2015, 10:54:59 AM
Pwease.... B) B) B)

Nope !......Not even for suitcases full of crisp 'oncers'.  :P
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Techno on 19 February 2015, 11:02:58 AM
Nope !......Not even for suitcases full of crisp 'oncers'.  :P
Cheers - Phil

Meany  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Matt J

I feel the insidious pull towards this stuff and struggling to resist.
The new goblins (more like orcs to me though) are very tempting though 1 pack to a base seems sparse (I put 12-15 models on a 5x3). I'd probably go with 2 packs to a base for that horde feel.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Leman

Hill Dwarves are looking like they could become my first purpose designed fantasy army. Should make good opponents to the Dragon men, for which I already have figures from both Pendraken and Citadel.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nosher

Just ordered the rules and will probably be using my medievals for a human army as others have suggested.

I have NEVER gamed any fantasy (other than Sci-fi) so this is all new to me. I will probably buy either/or of the Goblin and Hill Dwarf army at some stage, but probably not both as they look to have very similar type units and I'm keen to do armies that are very different in play styles.

I'm drawn towards undead and close combat armies so naturally I'm keen to stay away fro anything elvish....

Any hints and tips on which army to go for?

And please stay away from unhelpful ALL OF THE ABOVE - I have a mortgage to pay and children to feed!!  ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Luddite

Quote from: Leman on 19 February 2015, 11:23:14 AM
Hill Dwarves are looking like they could become my first purpose designed fantasy army. Should make good opponents to the Dragon men, for which I already have figures from both Pendraken and Citadel.

Aye, they're lovely little minis...  http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pendraken-warband-fantasy-army-packs_31.html
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Chieftain

Quote from: Nosher on 19 February 2015, 11:29:00 AM
I'm drawn towards undead and close combat armies so naturally I'm keen to stay away fro anything elvish....

Any hints and tips on which army to go for?

The undead rely on their commander and magic user to make them effective.  They're dead so don't have much initiative (!) so you really have to use the commander well to get them to fight effectively.

'Close combat army'?  Well, the armies are designed to be relatively well balanced, so most will do.  However if pushed i'd pick out:

Hill dwarves - are a stone wall.  Good solid, tough close fighting infantry.

Barbarian men - 'glass cannons'.  Fragile as theiy're nomadic and lack much armour, but (particularly the bison riders) hit like a train in melee combat.  You need to use them right though to maximise the charging bonuses.

Taurians - go for a small warband of minotaurs.  Tough, scary, but they will be outnumbered.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

getagrip

Nosher

Taureans sound like my kind of army - Bull in a china Shop :-bd
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Upgraydd

What I'm really liking is the real variety you can get from the army lists; for example you don't need to have a Hill Dwarf Army as a solid wall of troops, you can make quite am agile aggressive attacking army and still be playing to their strengths. What I guess this means is that each of the 12 armies could potentially suit any play style you prefer.

There are also armies that I wouldn't normally of even considered such as Eldritch Vampires & Lizard Men but these look like they could both be potentials. I'm in the process of creating a basic army builder and it really gives an insight into the range of possibilities within each army...a Barbarian force comprising just Bison Riders & War Mammoths sounds fun :d

O Dinas Powys

Well, if and when...

Taurians, well the centaurs anyway, to go with this year's/form the basis of next year's competition entry...  :-\

Dark elves, because I already have some in progress, including from last year's painting competition...  ;)

Lizardmen, because I've always loved lizard men.  Hopefully I'll be able to invoke a RuneQuest/Gloranthan Dargonewt vibe!  8->

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Luddite

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 24 February 2015, 09:56:49 AM
Lizardmen, because I've always loved lizard men.  Hopefully I'll be able to invoke a RuneQuest/Gloranthan Dargonewt vibe!  8->

Brilliant idea!

I can't wait to see them.   :D

RQ has a fond place in my gaming history.  LEon, please promise never to make any duck adventurers though.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

getagrip

Quote from: Luddite on 24 February 2015, 11:13:44 AM

RQ has a fond place in my gaming history.  LEon, please promise never to make any duck adventurers though.

Me too but ducks; what was that about?

Anyone remember the angry duck on the front of Apple Lane?

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: getagrip on 24 February 2015, 11:24:34 AM
Me too but ducks; what was that about?

Anyone remember the angry duck on the front of Apple Lane?

When they were working out the character races for the game they needed something to fit into the halfling niche. I think Howard the Duck was a major influence, along with Donald and Daffy.

Donald and Daffy's tendency to fly off the handle at a moment's notice was obviously an inspiration for their stereotypical, angry-bird nature  ~X(

Californians!  ;)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )