Tale of X gamers

Started by Sean Clark, 13 August 2010, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

13 August 2010, 05:39:02 PM Last Edit: 13 August 2010, 05:40:55 PM by salagam
I am sure this concept is familiar to most people, but for those not in the know it is basically a group of gamers who commit to collecting and painting a set amount of figures/units each month and reporting back on their progress via forums.

Games Workshop ran the first back in the day in White Dwarf. It was extremely popular with 4 guys given £25 to spend on figures for an army each month. They then had to assemble and paint the figures they bought and discuss games they played.

The idea has been copied ad infinitum across forums, mainly for fantasy/sc fi stuff. I have yet to see one concentrating on historicals. They seem a great way to motivate people into actually painting the stuff they buy as opposed to adding to the lead pile. Of course after initial fits of enthusiasm by forum members, interest usually drifts away to nothing after a matter of months.

I have blogged in the past to motivate myself into painting my figures and have churned out substantial amounts of figures as a result.

Would there be any interest in such a group project on here? I am thinking along the lines of:

1. A commitment of three months initially
2. Each person in the project to open their own thread titled "Tale of X Gamers (where X is however many people decide to sign up)
3. First post, introduce yourself and draw the line in the sand (along the lines of "I will paint a Roman army for Warmaster")
4. Aim for fortnightly updates with photographic evidence of your progress.
5. You can discuss painting methods, techniques, inspirations, anything really.
6. I would say that you should aim to use Pendraken figures where at all possible (it is their forum after all). I am sure though if you need figures they dont produce, Leon wouldn't mind seeing the odd figures from elsewhere.
7. If sufficient interest, maybe there could be a competition, where Leon could judge the end product with the winner winning a prize that I would put up.
8. Can be anything you want to paint fantasy or historical.

That is all dependant on the interest and Leon/Dave/ Pendraken giving their blessing to such a project. If there is interest, sign up below. I will assess whether it is a runner in a weeks time (20th August) and we can go from there.
I am thinking half a dozen or so would make this interesting, but the more the merrier.

Leon,

If you have any objections feel free to pull the plug, or else give ideas comments or suggestions. In fact that applies to anyone.

Kindest regards

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Nosher

Cricket seasons about to end and Im on holiday for the next fortnight so yes, I think I could see myself setting myself a task like this. I have been working out Burgundian & French Ordonnance armies for FOG so this might inspire me to record my progress.

It might also keep my spending down to £25 a month (which will be a first - although I seriously doubt it!)

If we could hold out till September I am most definately up for this ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Sean Clark

Nosher,

We could set a start date of 1st September. Might give people a chance to get orders in for a new project.

I wont stipulate minimum/maximum spends. I'll leave that up to the individual. Some peoples lead piles are high enough without me demanding they add to it :P Altohugh if I did maybe I could get commission :)
God's Own Scale podcast

lentulus

Quote from: salagam on 13 August 2010, 05:53:25 PM
We could set a start date of 1st September. Might give people a chance to get orders in for a new project.

I must think about this - I was planning to start a Turkish army anyway in that timeframe.

So, declare intent, budget set in advance (25 pounds is about $40 canadian, and $10 a week is my figure budget anyway), see what you can do in 3 months?

Sounds like fun.

Leon

Fine with me, sounds a good idea!

As you were...

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

I reckon I might be able to give it a bash  ;D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

nikharwood

Sounds good - I remember those articles too. The only thing that would put me off is the doing-it-in-stages...I tend to get the whole army at once, assemble it, undercoat it, stare it into submission for while and then paint-the-feck out of it until it's done.

Mad.

Sean Clark

Nik

How people do it would be upto them. If your updates just showed undercoating, then basing then painting of the whole force at once that would be cool. Its always interesting to see how people go about collecting.

You seem like an army painting machine, perhaps you should play by different rules and paint 1 army a month :D

Not sure what I might choose if we go ahead. Warmaster Ancient has always being on my to do list :)

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast

Maenoferren

Postage might add up a bit if we did it in bits

Sean Clark

I dont think we should set a monthly budget as per the original. If you already have a project sitting waiting to be done this would be the ideal motivator to get it underway.

Or if your wanting to start something new, theres nothing stopping you buying it all at once. The idea of the fortnightly updates is to show what progress you are making and spur you on to finish those last few figures prior to deadline.

I'm not setting anything in stone here. Its meant to be fun after all. By getting a group of us involved we can hopefully share ideas and spu each other on if motivation is lacking. Certainly once I settle on something, I will buy all the figures at once, probably in one of the arny packs to save some money. But as a newcomer to 10mm, I dont have a stock of figures waiting to go under the brush. Unlike most people here I suspect  :Dl

As per the earlier post, I think 1/9/10 would be a good start date.

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast

nikharwood

13 August 2010, 11:59:26 PM #10 Last Edit: 14 August 2010, 12:01:56 AM by nikharwood
Quote from: salagam on 13 August 2010, 11:18:12 PM
You seem like an army painting machine, perhaps you should play by different rules and paint 1 army a month :D

Only 1 army a month? You clip my wings sirra!  ;) ;D :P

As for what to do - my 10mm plans look like this [not necessarily in order]:

- WW2 Italian battlegroup ['43 mainland]
- Dungeon Set
- Indo-China: French Paras
- Indo-China: Viet Minh
- SYW Prussians
- Jacobite: British
- Jacobite: umm, Jacobites
- Sudan: British
- Sudan: umm, Sudanese

Give or take...

lentulus

Well, I'm in.  I am going to paint a Turkish-inspired force to oppose my "not-seven-years-war" armies.  Since my lace wars armies are fictional, my Turkish armies will be fictional too.  Sort of Frank Miller meets the siege of Vienna, with costumes by Baron Munchausen.  Expect 16th century Turks, Afghans (love the "jezail" rifles those NWF Afghans are using), Mahdists, Elephants, Zulus, war-rhinos, lizardmen....

If anyone runs into magic and lacepunk extensions for Black Powder let me know.

I'll start in spirit September 1, but it will be a week or so before I start ordering figures and since I live in the colonies a bit longer to have them in hand.

Maenoferren

I will do my Africa stuff then ;D It will give the push I need to get them all finished :-[

DanJ

OK, I'm game.

For the next three months I will be painting

7YW French - I've already done 1 unit so deos that count to the total?

Late WW1 French - just as a break from the 7YW French

7YW Prussians - Nothing yet but I'll need something for my French to fight.

And that's about it.  Now I just need to order a few more figures.

What's the best way to upload pictures?

Dan

Leon

Quote from: DanJ on 17 August 2010, 02:08:48 PM
What's the best way to upload pictures?

Dan

If they're a small enough file size, you can click 'Additional Options' when you're typing your message, and upload the file from your computer.  Alternatively, upload them to an online picture site, like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. and then link them from there.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!