Competition discussion thread 2015

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 February 2015, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 March 2015, 03:18:18 PM

How many still work there I wonder?

I'd go for zero; any thoughts on that Phil?
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Techno

I think there are at least four/five or more that are still there.
I'll have a look at the bigger piccy that I got sent a couple of days ago and work out 'who's who'.
Without looking at it at this very moment....I'm trying to think if there are some folk who are actually missing from the shot.

Cheers - Phil

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 01 March 2015, 03:34:15 PM
I'll have a look at the bigger piccy that I got sent a couple of days ago and work out 'who's who'.

Or even a who's where....!

"There's Warlord, there's Mantic, he went to Battlefront, he started Hasslefree..."   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

getagrip

Quote from: Leon on 01 March 2015, 03:40:32 PM

"There's Warlord, there's Mantic, he went to Battlefront, he started Hasslefree..."   :D

I think that's more to the point ;)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 01 March 2015, 02:38:18 PM
Yep.....I 'm 99.99999% certain I took that.
I remember taking a couple of extra shots with the 'timer' going, and running down to get in the picture before the wretched camera went click.....
I failed. ;D ;D ;D

Tony Ackland sent me that piccy a couple of days ago.....Where on Earth did you find that ?
Cheers - Phil (And no.....I don't remember every single person in the photo, as I've told Tone.)

Tony posted it on Facebook. Not only was it a blast from the past but was instrumental in putting me back in touch with Trish. I used to go scrounge coffee and drool over the upcoming figures in the Victoria Street workshop that Trish, Aly and Bob shared here in Edinburgh, when I was having a more stressful than usual day at work. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

It's probably one of GW's few redeeming features, that even though they're on a bit of a downward spiral themselves, their legacy includes the people they brought through, who are now bringing more to the hobby elsewhere.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 01 March 2015, 03:40:32 PM

Some of those guys either didn't work at the studio.....Or joined after I'd gone. ;)

I make 6 that I believe are still there....(Though possibly working from home, rather than the studio/factory ??) ..Ali & Trish, Alan Merret, John Blanche, Andy Jones, Jervis Johnson.....
One other....Richard Wright....(One of the best figure painters I've ever known...although he wasn't employed as a figure painter at the studio, when I was there.  :o)...I heard that he'd left as a graphic designer (fuzzy felter) ...But had found a new career as an illustrator with them.

There are definitely some missing, from that time.....The (Perry) twins.....Jez Goodwin (Think he's still there).....and there's no Bryan A, either.

Too many memories.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

WeeWars

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 March 2015, 03:56:41 PM
I used to go scrounge coffee and drool over the upcoming figures in the Victoria Street workshop that Trish, Aly and Bob shared here in Edinburgh, when I was having a more stressful than usual day at work. 

Then you probably met my brother-in-law who also had a workshop there. And when you say coffee it may have been accompanied by an 'elephant dropping'. That was a favourite local delicacy of theirs.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: WeeWars on 01 March 2015, 07:38:16 PM
Then you probably met my brother-in-law who also had a workshop there. And when you say coffee it may have been accompanied by an 'elephant dropping'. That was a favourite local delicacy of theirs.

When I remembered I brought biscuits.

As to elephant droppings ... not that I recall ... and it sounds like the sort of thing one might remember :)

I think the only other person I met there was a silver-smith, who taught Paul Henni to do silver-smithing if I remember correctly.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

capthugeca

02 March 2015, 07:20:55 AM #189 Last Edit: 02 March 2015, 07:23:26 AM by capthugeca
Quote from: fsn on 28 February 2015, 08:32:23 PM
My problem is, I paint something and think "well, that's not bad." Then I take a photograph and zoom in and ...  :'(

Me too. V frustrating!  >:(

And I use an optivisor!  :'(
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

getagrip

Quote from: capthugeca on 02 March 2015, 07:20:55 AM
Me too. V frustrating!  >:(

And I use an optivisor!  :'(

;D

I've tried using magnifiers before but found that because you enlarge both what you're working on and what you're working with, it doesn't help that much :-\

WeeWars

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 March 2015, 11:37:21 PM
I think the only other person I met there was a silver-smith, who taught Paul Henni to do silver-smithing if I remember correctly.

That's him.

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

getagrip

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!