Competition discussion thread 2015

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 07 February 2015, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotthabanero

Quote from: fsn on 01 March 2015, 08:26:24 AM
Welcome Mr Nero,

I hope now that you've dived into this sea of insanity, you will carry on posting. There is a humour to your work that is sometimes sadly lacking in some of the stuffier members of the forum. (Mention no names, but ... well you can provably work out who they are.)

Would it be fair to say that you're more of a modeller than a gamer?

Welcome anyway.

cheers :) i like my models to be 'doing something' so sometimes there is a comedy element. after a 20+ year tour of a certain millenium that total 1 and 40 and painting to prescribed standards i've loosened up and just do what's fun now. i write my own games too as i find some existing ones a bit too technical for quick fun. Haven't encountered anyone stuffy here as yet and am generally pretty taken with the whole community, nice to feel welcome :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome Scott. Good painting too. :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Maenoferren

Quote from: fsn on 28 February 2015, 08:32:23 PM

My problem is, I paint something and think "well, that's not bad." Then I take a photograph and zoom in and ...  :'(

Yep I feel your pain....actually taking the photo is enough to make me throw a wobbly.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

getagrip

Quote from: Maenoferren on 01 March 2015, 11:02:54 AM
Yep I feel your pain....actually taking the photo is enough to make me throw a wobbly.

I recently posted my first pics (DMH minis)  and when I took the first photo, I had to go back and soften some of the highlighting and black lining.  I would say that my painting is now better for it (not that I'm an expert by any stretch).

So, as a result, I'm starting work on my competition entries now so I've got time to get the photographing right  :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

Welcome Scott. Which category in the comp did you post your photos?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

maciek

Quote from: fsn on 28 February 2015, 08:32:23 PM
I've just added another entry to the vehicles section.

My problem is, I paint something and think "well, that's not bad." Then I take a photograph and zoom in and ...  :'(
It's because lens works like magnifying glass.
For me this problem ended when I stared to use standing magnifying glass for painting  8)
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

Quote from: maciek on 01 March 2015, 11:25:50 AM
It's because lens works like magnifying glass.
For me this problem ended when I stared to use standing magnifying glass for painting  8)

Might have to do that or an optivisor; problem is, then I'll look like Phil  :-SS :-SS :-SS

scotthabanero

Quote from: Leman on 01 March 2015, 11:11:30 AM
Welcome Scott. Which category in the comp did you post your photos?
hi, vehicle (ft17), mounted (japanese cyclists), foot 20th century (skiers) and fantasy/scifi (walker on mars base).
only got them on thursday so were could only spend a couple of hours on each one

scotthabanero

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 March 2015, 10:26:58 AM
Hello and welcome Scott. Good painting too. :)
hi and thank you :) ran out of time a bit plus am more used to 28mm but these were fun

Techno

Quote from: getagrip on 01 March 2015, 11:31:10 AM
Might have to do that or an optivisor; problem is, then I'll look like Phil  :-SS :-SS :-SS

Cheek !

Doesn't everyone want to look like an emaciated zombie with flip down goggles ?
Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 01 March 2015, 12:50:48 PM
Cheek !

Cheers - Phil

Cheek or chic?!  :-\

Could be the must have gamer look for mid 2015 ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Ithoriel

01 March 2015, 01:51:49 PM #176 Last Edit: 01 March 2015, 01:57:41 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 01 March 2015, 01:48:16 PM
Cheek or chic?!  :-\

Could be the must have gamer look for mid 2015 ;)

As opposed to the look 30 years ago? Techno is being fingered as the cameraman for this, any truth to the rumour Phil?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Techno on 01 March 2015, 12:50:48 PM
Cheek !

Cheers - Phil

Bit harsh; you don't always wear the goggles :D

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 01 March 2015, 01:51:49 PM
As opposed to the look 30 years ago? Techno is being fingered as the cameraman for this, any truth to the rumour Phil?

Yep.....I 'm 99.99999% certain I took that.
I remember taking a couple of extra shots with the 'timer' going, and running down to get in the picture before the wretched camera went click.....
I failed. ;D ;D ;D

Tony Ackland sent me that piccy a couple of days ago.....Where on Earth did you find that ?
Cheers - Phil (And no.....I don't remember every single person in the photo, as I've told Tone.)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They e are some mighty fine perms there, and amongst the ladies too!

How many still work there I wonder?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner