Diving into 10mm head first: project log

Started by BeardedHammer, 04 February 2015, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardedHammer

Lemmey: That's my plan for the moment. It's simple and effective, and that is exactly what I need.

Fred: Thanks for the heads up on the armor, I'll give it a shot.

What do you think about the dip method for the wash?

fred.

I've not used Army Painter Dip. The general view is it can be quite messy used as a dip.

I tend to make my own wash from Pledge floor polish diluted 50% with water and a few drops of ink (brown or black)

Forgot to say - I do like the look of your bases. With the Pikes I'll echo what Paul said, it can be worthwhile putting the angle pike troops back on the base a little to protect the pikes.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

BeardedHammer

Ok, I'll re-base the pikes. I've changed my preferred method anyway, lol.

Thanks for the advice guys!

toxicpixie

The Days of the Silver Legions are well and truly behind us, hurrah :)

White under coat, detail and a decent wash should be fine if have thought. So long as the undercoat is solid it'll pass muster! If you're doing bronze for armour you might even get set with it straight over the white if it's a solid enough metallic - the GW Copper I have works well like that - no idea what it's now called though. GnarMar Obsidibronze or something most likely...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

BeardedHammer

Here is the new pike line. It looks much better anyway ;D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

And will probably remain spiky for a lot longer :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

GrumpyOldMan

Hello BH

Quote from: BeardedHammer on 25 July 2015, 07:43:10 PM
That's what I'm looking for! I have a few buddies that are interested in 10 fantasy so I may do an adaptation from Pike and Shotte for that to get started.

There is a fantasy adaptation of Hail Caesar available from http://adyswargamesden.com/shadow-storm-aka-fantasy-hail-caesar-pdf/.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

BeardedHammer

Awesome!  Thanks for the link Grumpy! I'll be checking that out ASAP!

I'm hoping to get started on the painting tomorrow evening.  Between rebasing the pikes and dealing with issues at work time ran short.

I'll post as I go, and I may be doing a bit of work on my WW2 army as well.

BeardedHammer

Here is a pic of my first test base. Its a bit rough if you look close, but in a unit a foot or two away it'll do :)

Techno

Well....
Seeing as on my monitor, those are coming up six to seven times actual size, I should think they look particularly zippy from a couple of feet away !
Great looking unit !
Cheers - Phil

BeardedHammer

LOL! I just had the same issue  ;D I uploaded from my phone and it wasn't so bad.

Thanks for the compliment Techno! I will be going back and highlighting a bit to bring out some more detail, but that will be the general appearance.

Subedai

I can't tell from the picture but would give the armour a dark brown wash before you highlight.

Like fred 12df I use the magic wash recipe and can highly recommend it. You can make up any colour as a wash you desire provided you can get the relevant colour in waterproof ink.

The link for magic wash is

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

28 July 2015, 08:59:17 AM #268 Last Edit: 28 July 2015, 09:25:47 AM by paulr
I second the motion to wash ;)

Should also add that they are looking very good
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

They've had a wash from the look of it - I'd guess a GW Reikland Flesh or similar?

Look very nice for 28mm figures, very like the Pendraken sculpts in 10mm but huge :D

Good decision on recessing the pikes, I think - you might actually get them base to base as needed without breaking all the pike shafts in storage/transport :)