1870/71 French Dragoons

Started by Leman, 04 February 2015, 05:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Any help or advice out there folks? I am currently painting a unit of French dragoons and have run up against conflicting information about belting. My book on Alphonse de Neuville's paintings shows a party of dragoons bringing in  German prisoners. The dragoons clearly have black leather belting, especially as the previous picture in the book shows French lancers with white belting. The dragoons' black belting is also shown in the painting guide which Foundry produced. However other sources I have state that dragoon pouchbelt, waistbelt and slings were white. Which is correct, or did the wearing of white belts cease under the stress of combat during the Autumn of 1870?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Not sure if this is helpful or not.  On the Grossergeneralstab website the Leinhard and Humbert plates on the French Army, seem to show white belting for the Dragoons wearing the old uniforms into the 1860s, but black belting with the 1858 blue uniform.  As this was a period of transition, I suppose it is possible to find both type of belt with each colour of uniform?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Thanks Mollinary, that is very helpful. I find de Neuville's paintings very trustworthy and use them a lot as guides. I wonder if it is a case of some units using up old stock, as often happens when new uniform regulations come in. I know some of the line units took the field in July 1870 in the old green uniform. It may even be that not all units had been issued with the new equipment. I am inclined to go with black for this particular unit.

sdennan

Leman

Quote from: sdennan on 05 February 2015, 04:38:23 AM
What's the name of the book
Alphonse de Neuville - l'epopee de la defaite

It's published in France by Copernic, but I think I got my copy through Helion. It was originally published 1979.

Another superb book in French is:

Les evenements de l'ete 1870 en Alsace du Nord, by Michel Busser, published by Calleva in 2006. This is a profusely illustrated large format book covering the battles of Wissembourg and Froeschwiller. It also includes some very interesting sections on topics such as Count Zeppelin's cavalry reconnaisance into Alsace, presented as a series of contemporary sketches, almost comic book style, but which also includes a painting of dismounted chasseurs a cheval attacking his party in Schirlenhof. A goldmine of information, including a couple of German illustrations from the time showing how French colonial troops were often depicted inaccurately to the German public.