Stand To - war games fair

Started by Roy, 03 February 2015, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodvoc

Thanks for the review.
To be honest, I opted out of going as the lack of information over which traders would be there easily dissuaded me from driving for an hour there and an hour back. It looks a fun show and needs more games and certainly more advertising to get more people up there.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

skywalker

Great pictures, our club, Redcar Ironbeards did the Roman/Celt game.
We as a club attended last years show and this year the show was let down by lack of promoting.
I only found out that the show was still going ahead when I spoke to one of the organisors when we were at the Border Reaver show.
If you want to promote this show the organisors should put in some efffort promoting it and making people aware that it is happening.
They should take a leaf out of the Pendraken book on how to organise and promote a show.
We were disapointed with the standard of promotion. In my opinion if they are going to organise a Stand To 2016 they should contact clubs around May/June time to get people geared up to provide demo/participation games.
One of the regular traders, Games of War were not in attendance as they did not know it was happeneing until about 2 weeks before.
Full marks for a great venue, with free admission and other things to keep the non wargamers amused.
- 50% due to bad promotion.
Redcar Ironbeards are a small club but we are happy to support any games shows and promote this great hobby of ours so come you Organisors a bit more effort in the planning stages will pay great dividends.
If you require help let me know and I will join in :) :)

Roy

19 October 2015, 01:11:32 PM #17 Last Edit: 19 October 2015, 01:13:44 PM by RoyWilliamson
I've put my money were my mouth is and made an enquiry to the show's Facebook page on how I would go about putting on a demo game for next years show.

I'm thinking some sort of 28mm Victorian Science Fiction (the steam punk link should be a good tie-in with the museum, now I think about it) as I've some rather nice Ironclad Miniatures screaming out to be used, and with it being a fantasy setting it would allow for flying ships or fantastical terrain to help make the game look appealing.

Skywalker, is it possible for you to facilitate me with an email address for the organisers, should they not get back to me through Facebook?
And apologies, I did know that one of you was a member of this forum but I didn't have the gumption to introduce myself. If you can remember a fellow with a camera with ginger hair, that was me  :-[
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

howayman

Didn't make it this year, real life caught me up.   :'(
Thanks for the photo of the tank, still do not recall it.
Next year i promise to attend and spend some money.
Strangely it was Allan from Games of War that told me about the show last year.

Hope it was a success for all who/whom (FK will have me for the poor grammer) attended.

Roy

Quote from: howayman on 19 October 2015, 06:08:35 PM
Hope it was a success for all who/whom (FK will have me for the poor grammer) attended.

:( I don't think it was, to be honest.

The show was a success for Colonel Bill's, but I think Stuart was the exception.

I have had contact with the organisers about some information regarding putting on a game. Whether there is a show next year, however...

If you check out my blog, and the blog I link to, then you'll spot a number of comments left be gamers who did attend on the day. Also, on the linked-to blog, there is myself (a first time game runner), Darrell Hindley (a veteran of Salute and Partizan amongst others), the Durham Wargames Group (they run their own show and host games elsewhere) and the Tantobie Warfare and Tactics Society (veterans on putting on games) who are showing interest in putting on games at Stand To 2016. That's possibly four more games, the Westerhope group weren't told about this show, so if they came to 2016 that would make five more potential games for the event.

There is interest in seeing the show stay on the calendar, and even people wanting to help it live if not grow, so hopefully next year will be more of a success than this.   
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

skywalker

I don't have an email for the organisers Roy but I will put their contact phone numbers up when I get home from work.
I remember you as we were ribbing Simon about doing a runner when you geot the camera pointed at our table  ;D ;D

Roy

:)

Hello Skywalker

I've now got a contact email address and a description of the gentleman I need to speak, thanks.
I'm to look out for the Victorian Toy Soldier Co., a gentleman named Ken.

I just need to sort out what game I'll be doing ... I mentioned ACW naval, at Shildon, while talking amongst the Col. Bills boys and they've sort of run away with the idea. Still, steam ships will tie-in with the steam locomotives at the museum. 

skywalker

Sounds like a plan Roy.
The guys at Colonel Bills are good with ideas.
We (Redcar Ironbeards) unfortunately don't plan that far in advance and having only 4 members our talent pool is a bit limited but what we lack in talent we make up for with enthusiasm.  :)

Hopefully we will see you next year, mind you we are hoping for an invite to Durham as well seeing as we enjoyed it this year