Stand To - war games fair

Started by Roy, 03 February 2015, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

03 February 2015, 01:26:35 PM Last Edit: 03 February 2015, 01:29:59 PM by RoyWilliamson
Went to this show last year (the inaugural show) and it was well-liked by all involved from what I've read, considering it was a very small enterprise.

QuoteStand To - war games fair

18th October 2015

at "Locomotion"
National Railway Museum Shildon
DL4 1PQ

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/VisitShildon.aspx

10:00 - 16:30hrs
Free Admission (though a donation is encouraged to be given by the museum - to help maintain the engines, carriages and WW2 tank etc.)
Over 20 trade stands
More than 6 display games with 'give it a go' sessions
Coffee shop

For more information or to book a stand

search for WearvalleyGamers on Facebook

or e-mail:
wearvalleygamers@gmail.com

All the above is taken from off the leaflet that was available at York (1st Feb.) and I'm in no way involved with the show - just thought I'd mention it, as I and my family enjoyed visiting in 2014.
Traders in 2014 included: Col. Bills, Eagle Figures & Midlam Games from what I remember.

As I said though, it was a very small show in 2014 - smaller than The Durham Wargames Open Day - but they look to be trying to make it grow from the sounds of the leaflet.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

I take it that Shildon is a bit like the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Only ask because I've never heard of it, as a place or branch of the NRM.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

I've got no idea to be honest, but it must be. The website features info on both the York and Shildon museums.

Before October last year I'd never heard of the place. The museum's still connected to a [branch?] line, the track going into the sheds that have been renovated and modernised to house the museum and collection. If anything it resembles the Tank Museum down at Bovington, Dorset. But with only the one [British cruiser] tank from WW2. With the size of the place (and how spacious and well-lit) it can easily house a small to medium sized show - only thing would be that traders and games would be well spaced out around the venue, due to the size of the locomotive engines, carriages and wagons being semi-permanent fixtures.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Bodvoc

I've put this one on the calendar as it is not that far from the Dales.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Roy

Bump.

The show is this Sunday.

Information from the organisers is nearly non-existent, unfortunately. The best I know is that Colonel Bill's is trading. The Independent Wargames Group is putting on a game. Andrew Wylie may be running games of his Old West game. All of this information being obtained from the gentlemen themselves.

I'll be taking my camera.

Bodvoc

Thanks for the reminder Roy. Does anyone have any idea which traders are going?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Roy

Nope.

Here's the only further information I know (taken from the Independent Wargames Group blog)

QuoteEveryone loves trains, well at least I do. So when you put real steam trains together with Wargames, whats not to like. This is a reminder that I will be attending Shildon Locomotion Railway Museum this Sunday for the Stand To Wargames Show.
We will be putting on a 28mm Renaissance battle between the Ottoman Turks and the Venetians.
There are 20 plus traders attending, so with me, the traders, a lot of old steam trains, a cafe, and minimal entry fee its a win win situation.
I have even heard that Pete Waterman and Rod Stewart are attending.
I may actually have made that part up, but you never know.

reply by Big Andy (old glory uk)
QuoteThis passed me by .... Tried Googling it after I saw the above post- no real info of any kind- just a few comments on the lines of No real info of any kind..... Mind you TMP was down for maintainance
Not really worth my while trading there but it might- like Durham have been worth doing a game- if
A/. I'd known of its existance and
B/. I could get some TW*TS to help
Maybe next year..... maybe .....

T.W.*.T.S. is the acronym of a wargames group. Tantobie Wargames and Tactical Society. I've placed an * where the A should be in the name.
Yes, I know.

reply by Roy Williamson (me)
QuoteI'll be making my way to Shildon on the day, with camera this time.

As to the lack of show information (as Big Andy commented above) I have to agree with him.
I did find a show flier for Shildon at York, back in February, so some effort has been made to advertise. But it then took me to mention it to Stuart (of Col. Bills) that the show was running this year for him to know of its continued existence. If the organisers don't even contact the traders from the last show...

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good day out.

Other than that, a thread on the Lead Adventure Forum asking if anyone's going, and then my own postings, I've not read anything about this show on the Internet.

Roy

Just been told that Waugh Games have posted on their Facebook page that they are attending.

howayman

Went to this show last year. Massive potential, but it is just a small show.
The trade stands were scattered amongst the exhibits.
Not a train buff, but an interesting place.
Nothing like the Royal Armouries in Leeds.
Will have to look harder this time because i didn't notice the tank ! ;)

Leon

Talking to some of the traders who went last year it was a decent little show, but suffered a lot from the lack of advertising.  There have been some flyers knocking about but there doesn't seem to be much online for it.

Normally we'd be up at the Skelp show on the Saturday beforehand, which is why we're not attending ourselves.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Roy

Quote from: howayman on 13 October 2015, 05:57:00 PM
Will have to look harder this time because i didn't notice the tank ! ;)

(it was) a Crusader tank (I think) on a flat-bed rail wagon hooked up to a loco engine. One of the middle aisles, if memory serves me correct.

Quote from: Leon on 13 October 2015, 06:18:19 PM
Talking to some of the traders who went last year it was a decent little show, but suffered a lot from the lack of advertising.  There have been some flyers knocking about but there doesn't seem to be much online for it.

I did spot a flier for the show in a model railway shop in Bishop Auckland! It was on a side shelf next to a battered box of GW LOTR figures, heavily reduced in price.
There was fliers at both the York and Gateshead shows, but not at Durham. First I heard about the show last year was by word of mouth at my local club.
I'll have my camera so I'll take plenty of photo's to illustrate the venue.
Should anyone wish to stay clear of me on the day, I'm 30s with ginger hair and will be carrying a camera case / camera.

Roy

With thanks to Manic Miner over on the LAF, I now also know

Hoka Hey wargaming will be there too.

http://www.hokaheywargaming.co.uk/

Roy

Well, my verdict... I'm not going to criticise as I've never put on an event, myself, before, so I don't know how hard it is to do.

I reckon there was the around the same number of traders again this year, though some differing. Games, there was only three this year. One less than last year if my memory serves me correct.

If I may be permitted to make a constructive criticism, then I'd ask the host gaming club to advertise the show more, as I really enjoy the show and would love to see it grow.

As it was, I spent money, had a good time and made a number of contacts with traders and the living history team. Should it run again next year then I would go again.

Roy

Here's my frank and honest show report, featuring about a 100 photos to help illustrate the event for prospective traders/gamers.

http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/stand-to-at-shildon-photos-from-show.html

Ithoriel

Interesting review and some nice pictures! Thanks.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data