1/72 Napoleonic Austrians

Started by SV52, 01 February 2015, 01:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Subedai

Both those and the Russians are very nice, what make are they? Some of them look like AB.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Always glad to see a well painted Napoleonic force. Are they metal or plastic? 1/72nd scale would suggest the latter.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Fenton

Looking at blog the faces look like newline but there could be plastics mixed in with them
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

SV52

Cheers comrades.

The story is;

Austrians - vast majority are HaT 1/72 plastics, hussars, generals, jaegers, some line command figures are Newline.

Russians - Essex, Warrior, unknown artillery pieces.

Use? as yet unknown, once the painting mountain is hillock-sized likely DBN or some other cheap and cheerful ruleset.

My somewhat arbitrary approach to scales has meant that everyone has had to wait for an opponent to be mustered.  For now it'll be Russians v French and Austrians v Bavarians (I know, I just like Bavarians).

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jambo1

Nice work, I have seen from perusing your blog before that you use Warrior miniatures a bit, I too have purchased Warrior figures, 18th century 15mm, and the service was top notch and the figures are great little guys full of character.

Subedai

Quote from: jambo1 on 01 February 2015, 05:20:26 PM
Nice work, I have seen from perusing your blog before that you use Warrior miniatures a bit, I too have purchased Warrior figures, 18th century 15mm, and the service was top notch and the figures are great little guys full of character.

Agreed, Warrior are one of the understated companies. I have used a lot of their 25mm Ancients and Medievals for my Mongol allies and enemies. My only little moan was that the spears were a bit too bendy, but you can get around that.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

GordonY

Their 15mm ACW stuff is top notch and about half the price of Essex/Minifigs/etc etc.

I'm sure I have one of their Napoleonic Army packs somewhere as well (yet another project that never got started)

Leman

"Once the painting mountain is hillock sized...."

AIN'T EVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

I have looked at warrior in the past, but their shipping seems quite expensive at  40% of the amount ordered so i never ordered something  :-\

Techno

VERY nice indeed, SV.
Cheers - Phil.

SV52

Yes indeed I have done and do use a fair few Warrior.  The bargain bucket 25mm Highlanders got me into Jacobite Rebellions.  Currently using 25mm figures from their Mexican-American range, infantry and artillery though; the cavalry horses are way too skinny.  Being tempted by the 25mm Redcoats but will need to get a dragoon regiment and a source for good 25mm non-banded muskets to resolve it (I should say that they sent me most of the foot range when I bought two samples on a recent order!)

@ petercooman you must be outwith UK then as their website has 'U.K. - 15% ... minimum 2.00 GBP'

Looked at the 15mm 18th century range, the army pack is an absolute bargain (as is the ACW).  However had a look at a comparison site a couple of weeks ago and it showed the cavalry as very small, even against Freikorps.  That is certainly the case with the Russian uhlans I just did, way smaller than the infantry.  It's odd as I got French Nap. cavalry and they were a good size against Essex.

In short, the various scale ranges appear to be very variable.  Possibly wise to get a mixed figure sample for 25mm and a foot and horse pack for 15mm, after all they're cheap enough!

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

Yes i am in Belgium, so that's pretty expensive :o

SV52

Too true! I don't think I'd bother. At least not without a good look at other people's charges   ;)

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!