Google translate

Started by Fenton, 29 January 2015, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Quote from: getagrip on 30 January 2015, 10:40:20 AM
Especially when writing:

Your miniatures; you're going to paint them.

Or: there is a better way to paint their figures
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

DanJ

Or: which is the best way to paint witches?

Oh and thanks for the info about the Finno-Ugric languages

Hertsblue

Finnish is also related to Estonian, I'm told. A shopkeeper in Tallin told me that the Finns come across the Baltic on "booze cruises" because the stuff's so much cheaper there and they can make themselves understood.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

Met an Icelander once, that was a strange language.  REALLY difficult for an English speaker to get their tongue around (the language not the Icelander before Fenton asks  :) ).
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Ithoriel

Yep, Finno-Ugric includes Magyar (Hungarian), Finnish and Estonian plus a scatter of languages spoken in the Russian Federation that I can't remember the name of. In my defence, it's forty odd years since I learned all this.

My "tell the group something they probably don't know about you" fact was that I'd written an article for a Games Workshop magazine that was translated into Magyar!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Quote from: DanJ on 30 January 2015, 11:16:24 AM
Or: which is the best way to paint witches?

:-\ Pain twitches? I would try a series of electrical shocks ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 30 January 2015, 11:37:48 AM
Yep, Finno-Ugric includes Magyar (Hungarian), Finnish and Estonian plus a scatter of languages spoken in the Russian Federation that I can't remember the name of. In my defence, it's forty odd years since I learned all this.

My "tell the group something they probably don't know about you" fact was that I'd written an article for a Games Workshop magazine that was translated into Magyar!

I'm told (told) that linguists insist there are similarities to Korean too which can't be coincidental.

Really.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 January 2015, 11:39:14 AM
:-\ Pain twitches? I would try a series of electrical shocks ....

My TENS machine, for example ?
Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

30 January 2015, 03:36:00 PM #23 Last Edit: 30 January 2015, 03:37:42 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 January 2015, 02:55:45 PM
I'm told (told) that linguists insist there are similarities to Korean too which can't be coincidental.

Really.

Long time since I was seriously interested in this so the revisionists may well have been revised themselves in the interim but I thought the Macro-Altaic theory which lumped Finno-Ugric, Turkish, Mongolian, Samoyed, Korean and Japanese together had been discredited. Some night when I can't get to sleep I must have a rummage on the web and update my tattered memories of all this.

Meantime I need to remain focused on all things Sumerian to focus my painting on the project in hand*.

Damn! I hear the susurration of butterfly wings. So, who makes 10mm Samoyeds? ;)

*Edit: A quick wikipedia search suggests there is a theory that Magyar and Sumerian are related!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Knew Hungary was fairly backward - but writing on clay tablets.

IanS  :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 30 January 2015, 04:12:26 PM
Knew Hungary was fairly backward - but writing on clay tablets.

IanS  :d

Paprika makes a very poor ink.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

I seem to remember that the Hungarian for 'May I have a packet of cigarettes?' translates as 'Please to fondle my bum.'  Or was that a comedy sketch?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

I read that English is more difficult than you may expect, because it has so many homophones, synonyms and irregular verbs
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

getagrip

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 February 2015, 03:13:34 PM
I read that English is more difficult than you may expect, because it has so many homophones, synonyms and irregular verbs

Or this:

Ghoti is a constructed word used to illustrate irregularities in English spelling. It is a respelling of the word fish, and is intended to be pronounced in the same way (/ˈfɪʃ/), using these sounds:

gh, as in tough
o, as in women
ti, as in nation

English is a vile language to learn.

Don't get me on prepositions either: You go into town on a bus in February.  Do you go uptown or downtown?

Ridiculous  >:( >:( >:(
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

GordonY

it may be a vile language to learn, but all the Johnny Foreigners understand it.

Remember the Victorian maxim when dealing with the natives, "if they dont seem to understand, Shout Louder!!"