Random shaped bases

Started by Maenoferren, 28 January 2015, 10:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

Hi Leon,
any chance of doing random shaped MDF bases. I am looking to make bits of terrain, I do like the 80mm circles, but started thinking that random shaped ones would look a little more interesting. it might be a little more mdf wastage friendly as the internal join of two pieces mirror each other, only the outer edges of a rectangle need to be wasted If that makes sense  :-\
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Leon

It's something we've done occasionally as a custom job, but the software on our machine is quite basic and doesn't really allow for irregular shapes easily.  We'll have another go and see what we can do, but it'll have to be next month sometime probably.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

If you have a jigsaw these are very easy to cut for your self.

With 2mm MDF you can cut them with a sharp knife.

The laser cutter excels at straight lines, consistent spacing, and true corners. None of which you need for an irregular blob for terrain.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Maenoferren

Quote from: Leon on 28 January 2015, 10:55:55 PM
It's something we've done occasionally as a custom job, but the software on our machine is quite basic and doesn't really allow for irregular shapes easily.  We'll have another go and see what we can do, but it'll have to be next month sometime probably.

8)

Cheers Leon,
Not a problem, I don't want you to waste time on it... was just a thought :) I can set about stuff with a Stanley knife  :D

fsn

Let me drive your cutter - you'll soon have random shapes!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

And somebody might lose the odd finger.

Dont operate machinery under the influence of drugs....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Luddite

29 January 2015, 03:02:44 PM #8 Last Edit: 29 January 2015, 04:43:44 PM by Luddite
Quote from: fsn on 29 January 2015, 12:20:21 PM
Let me drive your cutter - you'll soon have random shapes!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually Leon, something i often need are scenery bases - things to model terrain and buildings on.

Some 8x8" roughly square pieces with rounded corners and bevelled/chamferred edges would be great.

Is that something you could produce?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ithoriel

Quote from: Luddite on 29 January 2015, 03:02:44 PM
Actually Leon, something i often need are scenery bases - things to model train and buildings on.

Some 8x8" roughly square pieces with rounded corners and bevelled/chamferred edges would be great.

Is that something you could produce?

Yes, I'd find something like that useful too. Say 150mm square up to 200mm square to use as bases for anything from 6mm villages to 15mm houses.

East Riding (wash my mouth out :)  ) do what they call tablets, which are standard square/ rectangular bases with rounded corners, bevelled edges, if possible, would be the icing on the cake ... and it is Dave's birthday so cakes are appropriate :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

Bevelled edges are the problem, as they can't be done on the laser machine (at least not without a rather expensive piece of kit that allows the laser head to tilt and swivel around the material...)  Rounded corners are no problem, so we'll have a look and see what we can knock up.

8)