What ruleset did you use in your last game - 2015?

Started by jchaos79, 24 January 2015, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D

Chris.....You did that all wrong !
You should have feigned huge interest, and asked if you could join in with the folk dancing.
Then.......Completely and utterly, made a total hash of it.

They'd have probably never returned to the hall, in case you asked to join in again.

Cheers - General Lewis (Black Ops  ;))

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 12 June 2015, 03:56:15 PM
;D ;D ;D Somebody needs to tell them Cromwell banned this.

The thought did cross my mind, and I might have voiced it, except I just spent a week in Ireland biting my tongue to avoid saying his name or putting on an even sillier accent than usual.

Quote from: Techno on 12 June 2015, 04:05:58 PM
You should have feigned huge interest, and asked if you could join in with the folk dancing.

Actually Bruce did - but I dragged him away ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

The Irish are probably still whingeing about something that happened in 953BC.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

runelord

Warband Empire(Dragon Men) v Undead, AAR to follow on forum.

Techno

Quote from: runelord on 12 June 2015, 11:39:12 PM
Warband Empire(Dragon Men) v Undead, AAR to follow on forum.

Looking forward to that, Runelord !  :)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - Rebs vs Yankees
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - See below
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2.

Sunjester and I have been playing Black Powder since it came out with WSS mods.  Couple of weeks ago I suggested doing Gettysburg in campaign style - map maneouvers, then fight the battles as Divisions come into contact - some games would be 'simultaneous' with the next game, so if you used the reinforcements in one battle they are not available in the next battle, because they are effectively happening at the same time.

We usually play "They Couldn't Hit an Elephant" for ACW, but as this campaign could get big I suggested we try BP.

We went for the Large/Small unit options, plus commander personalities, neither of which we've used before.  With WSS mod we are strict about movement, ACW we were close to 'as written', and the terrain was less restrictive for our troops (woods we counted as Rough that blocked line of sight).  We played our normal house rule of units in Broken Brigades can be rallied if they didn't need to retreat during initiative (so it is possible to 'unbreak' a brigade), and kept my WSS Fire before move, but without the -1 command penalty we usually have.

It was a different game to WSS, and it did feel ACWish.  It wasn't 'Elephant', where it is fatal not to keep reserves, and hinges round morale, but it didn't feel too generic.  WSS you can only move straight ahead or wheel.  With ACW we allowed move how you like in the front quadrant, or half move in the flanks/rear - watching ACW reenactors it seems as though they jog to roughly where they're supposed to be, then dress the lines.

The thing is we had  to check the rules, not because we don't know them BUT we were getting situations that just don't happen in WSS-  Like brigades winning and going forward!

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Allies at Quatre Bras
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, given it was my first outing with Napoleonics.

Cracking game and felt very different to the previous SYW games due to the differences in the froces ability to move around the battlefield. AAR to follow before the weekend hopefully.

FierceKitty

17 June 2015, 12:57:43 PM #159 Last Edit: 17 June 2015, 12:59:40 PM by FierceKitty

1) Warlord's Pike and Shot.
2) ECW early Roundheads vsCaviliers.
3) Not hard to understand, but the old "buckets of dice" syndrome, together with the cavalry melee that leaves one side annihilated and the other one scratch away from the same condition - I am in no hurry to repeat the experiment, even though I won.
4) Yes. Old buddy grabbed me for an afternoon on holiday in Cape Town.
5) Two.

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hwiccee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mit Blut und Eisen (http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/FUFF.htm)
2) What armies were confronted? - Test game for 1870's - Austrian intervention.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 6 each with 2 or so Corps

Two 1870's games run side by side to test the proposed rtings for 1870's Austrians. One was French vs Prussians, the other was Austrians vs Prussians. The idea was that the victor in one game could reinforce the other.

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Dutch at Waterloo (Neys' cavalry charge)

Leman

1. BBB
2. French v. Prussians
3. Yes, once I remembered that a unit can only be targeted once so add together all available shooters
4. No
5. 2 - game was Spicheren took 3.5 hours to complete, in temperatures similar to the actual battle.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Star Wars Armarda
2) What armies were confronted? - rebels with 2 Neb-Band a pair of Corvettes vs 2 Victory Class Star Destroyers. Many fighters too!
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes but a good friend umpired.
5) How many players were in the game? - 5 including umpire.

Great game, poor navigation and tactics by Rebels let them gift us the win!

KTravlos

1) Bloody Big Battles: 2nd Pleven
2) Russians vs. Ottomans
3) Getting there. Like them a lot for army level games
4)No, 4 games
5) 4 players. Our first multi-player game. 2 had played before, 2 completely new. It played a bit slow because of that. We played 4 of 8 turns before having to stop due to the need to go home. Game played fast though and we are eager to play again the full scenario.