Warband Rules!

Started by Leon, 21 January 2015, 12:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

These are looking pretty cool, any idea when they'll be available on wargame vault?

Bodvoc

Well I got my hands on a copy at the Vapnartak show today and so far I am impressed. The rules are easy to follow, look like the will give a fun, fast moving game with easy to pick up rule systems. The armylists are pretty thorough, making good use of the Pendraken ranges, and I am already thinking Greek Myth, Norse Myth, Arthurian Legend could easily be created. It is also a well presented book with a fast play sheet included.
Having recently been re-basing my 10mm figures onto 6x3cm bases I will stick with that base size and the rules will work just fine.
Overall, recommended.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Leman

Discussed with Leon using later condottieri Leonardo-esque armies for this, especially as mione are unpainted and unbased as yet. He reckoned it had legs with the new rules.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

godzilla

getagrip

I'll definitely get a copy if only to find out how a large base of magic users works; not sure I'm convinced by that :-\
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Bodvoc

On my quick read through, the 'large base of magic users' is better thought of as a base of troops with a/some magic users helping it.

getagrip

Quote from: Bodvoc on 02 February 2015, 08:33:36 AM
On my quick read through, the 'large base of magic users' is better thought of as a base of troops with a/some magic users helping it.

Yeah, that would make more sense :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

FierceKitty

And a lot of sad wizardly wannabes?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chieftain

02 February 2015, 09:07:43 AM #128 Last Edit: 02 February 2015, 09:20:22 AM by Chieftain
In cold mechanical terms, the 'magic user unit' is the unit in your army where your spells are generated and cast from.

Think of it as a magic user (wizard, shaman, necromancer, etc.), or perhaps a cabal of magic users and their familiars, golems, underlings, summoned monsters, guards, and hangers-on.  If you want to, it could also be a unit entirely of magic users too - particularly if you have an exceptional quality unit.  Then again, perhaps a single Gandalf-type figure would be something that looks good.  

It's an opportunity to really go to town on the unit modelling of a diorama; perhaps modelling them summoning a beastie, or standing around a magic rock or structure, chanting, or...well...i'm sure you can think of something that will look great!  Can't wait to see what people do with their magic user units!

'Greek Myth, Norse Myth, Arthurian Legend...Leonardo-esque' armies.

We had to make some hard decisions about which of the 50 or so armies developed made it into the rules.  These four armies were all developed but didn't make the cut!

Actually, the Greek Myth thing made it in and is a strong theme throughout the Taurian army.  Their cousins, the 'Labyrinth Men' didn't make it.
You could also probably make an Arthurian Legend warband from the Dragon Men list (especially if you prefer the later Geoffrey of Monmouth version of the myths).
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

old smokie

when will these be available in the web store  =P~

Leon

Quote from: old smokie on 02 February 2015, 05:39:58 PM
when will these be available in the web store  =P~

Hopefully in the next day or two, we're just waiting on some website updates so that the Basket recognises non-VAT goods like wargames rules.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bodvoc

Once folks are up and running with the rules it could be good to have a thread to share new army lists that players create, and also, how about having the fast play sheet as a download so we can print off extra copies to play with?

Leon

Quote from: Bodvoc on 02 February 2015, 07:30:50 PM
Once folks are up and running with the rules it could be good to have a thread to share new army lists that players create, and also, how about having the fast play sheet as a download so we can print off extra copies to play with?

Thanks for the reply, a thread for the army lists would be a great idea, and I know Steve Hardy has got some other lists that didn't make it into the finished book.  I'll double check with the author on the fast play sheet download as well, but it shouldn't be a problem.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Chieftain

It's encouraging to see people asking for additional content already!

There's certainly much that didn't make it into the core rules.

It would be good to see that released at some point, but one step at a time.   :)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

neilpcegerton

any update on when we can order pdf and hardcopy