Warband Rules!

Started by Leon, 21 January 2015, 12:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPTHilts

Thanks for the warm welcome,
I think, I will introduce myself in the Welcome section again, to do it the right way  :)

Fenton

For those already based for Warmaster why not just use 80x40?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Roy

21 January 2015, 10:09:36 AM #17 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 10:17:07 AM by GB.
The Warband rules sound interesting and something that I'd be keen to know more about.

If there's a copy (of Warband) to browse at the York show (on the P.M. stand) I'd certainly like to give it once over.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Fenton

21 January 2015, 10:12:39 AM #18 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 10:19:26 AM by Fenton
Are these the rules Luddite was writing?

And are the resculpts Techno's secret project?

If it is  how does Techno feel going back to his roots by sculpting 10mm fantasy again?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

We're currently on Impetus 80mm wide by various deep bases as we've shifted from Warmaster to Imp. Fantasy. I wouldn't rebase again, but as it looks like the rules on base sizes are pretty flexible (i.e. using base widths) then I'd give them a bash as is.

Already use some of the Warmaster based stuff on sabots so not a problem to do exactly the same for this :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

21 January 2015, 10:53:12 AM #20 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 10:55:11 AM by Just a few Orcs
I was quite excited to see these being released, then I read the comments on base sizes and the use of base widths and was dissapointed.  

It seems (to me)  unwise to use sizes that do not use multiples of the 40mm x 20mm base size that seems to be the  most common  for 10/15mm figures. particuarly when the play testing was done with this size base. I appreciate that most of us can apply the logic of just using 4 warmaster bases per unit, but its a shame this was not done in the rules.

My other bugbear is the use of Base widths for measurement.  It does not remove the need for a ruler or tape measure and just adds to complexity, thus slowing the game down.  

Orcs
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

At first glance I'm not seeing anything in the rules that would shift me from Warmaster to be honest but I am open to being convinced. I am, however, looking forward to the new figures and keeping my fingers crossed that the Balori (or whatever they wind up being called) make it into production.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

brothercrow

We have played numerous test games using 4 x DBx/HotT bases, and even with the variable base depths, they work exceedingly well. We found four x foot bases (whether 15mm depth or 20mm depth) and two x Cavalry bases is about right. Warmaster bases would be about the same I guess...

I'm probably biased, as I've been involved in the testing, but it is a solid fun game, very much decision based and played to conclusion in a couple of hours. It can be quite tense at times in a DBx sort  of way, though the rules mechanics are very different. Table size, well it is defined in base widths/depths, but we found 6x4 works well when units have 8cm to 10cm frontage.

I'll certainly be picking up a copy (and probably a new army) when released!
Best wishes,
Graeme.

Subedai

I don't normally get involved in discussions like this but this particular issue but...well, read on.

I don't know anything and haven't read anything about these rules but reading some of the comments on this thread has left me a little annoyed. I always thought that wargamers were a very open minded and adaptable bunch of people but dismissive comments using base sizes as an argument seems a little petty to me.
Has anybody who commented negatively actually tried them yet?
I assume that some if not all of the playtesters frequent this forum so how about comments from them? Do the basic mechanics work okay, does the game flow, are the rules relatively easy to follow? These should be the major issues, not bl**dy base sizes!
As others have said, 4 of 40x20 should/will work okay so what the hell is the problem?

Sorry, it just really got my goat!

Rant over.

(Just read brothercrow's recent comment but I'm going to post this anyway.)
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Aquahog

Why are base widths an issue? Just do a quick reference (or ask for one, the internet is nice and willing) with the ranges in centimeters if you can't be bothered to multiply with ten or your own base width equivalence.

brothercrow

21 January 2015, 11:58:17 AM #25 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 12:00:40 PM by brothercrow
I find a nice 4BW stick marked at 1 width intervals helps... ;-)
Best wishes,
Graeme.

Techno

Quote from: Fenton on 21 January 2015, 10:12:39 AM
And are the resculpts Techno's secret project?

Yup !!  ;)

Quote from: Fenton on 21 January 2015, 10:12:39 AM
If it is  how does Techno feel going back to his roots by sculpting 10mm fantasy again?

Thoroughly enjoying it, Steve !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quite pleased I haven't currently got any fantasy armies based up. This might be a fun way to game late C15th fantasy Italian condotta, for which I have, as yet, unsullied figures.

Cheers Bob
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Subedai on 21 January 2015, 11:39:53 AM
I don't normally get involved in discussions like this but this particular issue but...well, read on.

As others have said, 4 of 40x20 should/will work okay so what the hell is the problem?

Sorry, it just really got my goat!

Rant over.

4 of 40x20 is a problem because I have several large armies which are painted and organised in units of 3 bases.

I find the current fad for Base Width measurements an irritation. Yes, I can knock up a quick ref chart in a few minutes but it's one more reason not to change from whatever rules I'm using. I know, I know, old dogs ... new tricks and all that :)

The pages posted don't look to be doing anything particularly new or interesting. A solid and well laid out set without a doubt but nothing to drag me away from Warmaster.

I play comparatively few tabletop miniatures games these days so when I do I prefer to use rules we all know to maximize playing time. That said, if something new and innovative turns up then as a group we'll give it a go.

New figures, however, I'll happily add to the ridiculously large pile of unpainted figures I already have :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

WeeWars

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2015, 01:11:48 PM
4 of 40x20 is a problem because I have several large armies which are painted and organised in units of 3 bases.

Yes, that is a problem. Whether we like it or not, our games begin with figures glued onto bases. But for anyone wanting to use their existing Warmaster armies it's more a problem of unit size rather than a reluctance to use sabot bases.

A solution that jumps into my mind would be to use only 2 Warmaster bases, making both cavalry and infantry 'bases' 40 x 40mm.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!