Warband Rules!

Started by Leon, 21 January 2015, 12:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

For Fantasy impetus I've used either two stands next to each other, or three - two front, one behind or reversed for "wedges" like knights. Looks quite good, gives quite a sort of organic look as the lines thin and thicken around the commanders etc.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

Rebasing, rebasing. If I rebased every time a new rules set came out, I would never have played any new rules (I learned that after the fourth time ..... :) )

Gentlemen!. We are wargamers and we will overcome!

[altogether now  ... ]
We shall overcoawwwmme, we shall over caww-umm, we shall overcawwmme these roo-oo-oo-ools, becozz deep in our hearts, we are old farts wargamers, we shall etc.....

[btw, every time I type in 'wargamers' the auto-correct on my computer changes it to 'warmers:o ....... such insubordination! ... >:( .... what is it trying to tell me?  :-\]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Bodvoc

Rules from Pendraken is an exciting step forward, I am certainly interested in the Warband rules. My Fantasy 10mm are on 6x3cm bases (Impetus and Sword and Spear)and I will just use those for my games. When is the release date? and what is the probable cost?  Bring em' on!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Chieftain

Quote from: Bodvoc on 21 January 2015, 01:57:44 PM
When is the release date? and what is the probable cost?  Bring em' on!

Hi Bodvoc, the hard copy rules are currently at the printers, so release date is 'as soon as possible'.

As well as the printed copies (to be available through the Pendraken website, priced at £16), there will also be pdf versions available through Wargame Vault (release date and price to be confirmed).
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Fenton

No chance them being on Amazon?

I got a voucher for Xmas and I cant decide what to do with it
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Bodvoc

£16, i'm in! and thanks for the prompt reply. Anychance they will be on sale at Vapnartak in York?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

toxicpixie

If you've got them in hand for WMMMS I might part with some cash after a flick thru :)

Sadly, we're about comfortable with Impetus Fantasy so it'll be an impulse "ahhh g'wan then!" purchase if I do ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2015, 01:11:48 PM
4 of 40x20 is a problem because I have several large armies which are painted and organised in units of 3 bases.

I find the current fad for Base Width measurements an irritation. Yes, I can knock up a quick ref chart in a few minutes but it's one more reason not to change from whatever rules I'm using. I know, I know, old dogs ... new tricks and all that :)

The pages posted don't look to be doing anything particularly new or interesting. A solid and well laid out set without a doubt but nothing to drag me away from Warmaster.

I play comparatively few tabletop miniatures games these days so when I do I prefer to use rules we all know to maximize playing time. That said, if something new and innovative turns up then as a group we'll give it a go.

New figures, however, I'll happily add to the ridiculously large pile of unpainted figures I already have :-)

I have agree with Ithoriel.  especially about the need to add new shiny figure to my lead pile.

That said I wish Pendraken all the best with the rules, just that they will probably not "float my boat"
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sandinista

Quote from: Subedai on 21 January 2015, 11:39:53 AM
I don't normally get involved in discussions like this but this particular issue but...well, read on.

I don't know anything and haven't read anything about these rules but reading some of the comments on this thread has left me a little annoyed. I always thought that wargamers were a very open minded and adaptable bunch of people but dismissive comments using base sizes as an argument seems a little petty to me.
Has anybody who commented negatively actually tried them yet?
I assume that some if not all of the playtesters frequent this forum so how about comments from them? Do the basic mechanics work okay, does the game flow, are the rules relatively easy to follow? These should be the major issues, not bl**dy base sizes!
As others have said, 4 of 40x20 should/will work okay so what the hell is the problem?

Sorry, it just really got my goat!

Rant over.

(Just read brothercrow's recent comment but I'm going to post this anyway.)

I was thinking the same thing

Luddite

21 January 2015, 05:16:10 PM #39 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 05:27:35 PM by Luddite
Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2015, 10:54:56 AM
I am, however, looking forward to the new figures and keeping my fingers crossed that the Balori (or whatever they wind up being called) make it into production.

I'm itching to get my mitts on these little fellows too!

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Thanks for all the comments, it looks like we're keeping the age old tradition of 'Marmite rules' going! 

On the bases, we completely understand what people are saying and the base sizes was one of the first things we chatted about at Pendraken HQ.  We're putting a huge amount of time and money into this project, so the last thing we'd do is make the rules so exclusive that people couldn't get into them easily. 

As Chieftain and others have said, other base sizes will work just as well, and we'll also be making movement trays to cover every option for people who want to use their existing armies.  Whether it's 40x20's in a block, 60x30's, 40x30's or even 40x20's in a triangle formation, we'll make a tray for it.  These are a fun and simple to learn set of rules that we really want to become the 'go to' set for Fantasy 10mm gaming, so we'll be doing everything we possibly can to make it easy for people to get involved.

It's worth mentioning as well that the 100x50mm bases look fantastic as a unit, all painted nicely as almost mini-diorama's, they look like a proper warband.   ;)  They're also easy to move about the table as well, and you've got the space around the figures for handy things like dice frames for tracking casualties, etc...

There will be loads of support and info available here which we'll be constantly updating and adding to, and we're hoping to take the rules on the road as well to do some displays at some of the shows this year.

Quote from: Fenton on 21 January 2015, 02:13:12 PM
No chance them being on Amazon?

No immediate plans for that, mainly as I've not dealt with them before and I've seen some bad reviews.  It'll really depend on the success of the rules and whether we get asked a lot about other sales streams.

Quote from: Bodvoc on 21 January 2015, 02:22:13 PM
Any chance they will be on sale at Vapnartak in York?

Hopefully is the best I can say right now.  The printers said they should be with us within 10 days or so, and that was the end of last week, so we should be getting them just before the York show.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 21 January 2015, 02:23:26 PM
If you've got them in hand for WMMMS I might part with some cash after a flick thru :)

We'll definitely have them in time for WMMS, no worries there.

Thanks again for all the comments!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

ronan

Quote from: Leon on 21 January 2015, 05:30:12 PM(...)
It's worth mentioning as well that the 100x50mm bases look fantastic as a unit, all painted nicely as almost mini-diorama's, they look like a proper warband.   ;)  (...)

We want pics !!  :D

;)

Gunhit

Hi Leon and team,

Just like to add my support to this new development. The rules sound interesting and I certainly prefer the large base sizes for this scale and below.

I am in the process of toying between 15mm and 10mm for my fantasy gaming so this new venture of yours has arrived at the right time for me. Any ideas when we can get a peak at the new miniatures?

Adrian

Leon

Quote from: ronan on 21 January 2015, 06:33:50 PM
We want pics !!  :D

There are some in the rulebook...!  :D

Quote from: Gunhit on 21 January 2015, 06:36:57 PM
I am in the process of toying between 15mm and 10mm for my fantasy gaming so this new venture of yours has arrived at the right time for me. Any ideas when we can get a peak at the new miniatures?

The new figures are almost ready to go, I just need to get some photo's taken for the website and then we can get them all released.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Chieftain

21 January 2015, 07:15:21 PM #44 Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 07:24:01 PM by Chieftain
Pictures?

Here's a full army.

This one was one of the play tester armies.  A serious goblin warband.

Official Guru of our Warband rules!