Judges Announced!

Started by Leon, 18 January 2015, 10:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

18 January 2015, 10:18:01 PM Last Edit: 18 January 2015, 10:38:55 PM by Leon
We are proud to announce the 5 judges who will be deciding the winners of the 2015 Painting Competition!  

From previous years we welcome back:
- Nik Harwood!
- Clibinarium!
- Andy Mac!
- Techno!

And after his fantastic work in last year's competition, this year we have a new Judge on the panel:
- Kev1964!

Each of the judges will be given 3 / 2 / 1 points to award in each category (3 points to the best entry, 2 points to the second best, 1 point to the third).  The points will be tallied up and the winners will be announced shortly after the closing date of 28th Feb.

So, who are these folk?!

Kev1964!
Kev is a former construction manager who moved to Hungary in 2009 for a complete change of lifestyle.  He had intended to be (reasonably) self sufficient but as he ended up with pets instead of food, it quickly became apparent that he needed an income!

Like many middle aged chaps on the Forum, Kev started painting Airfix figures in the '70s, so he thought he'd give figure painting a go.  Luckily it has kept the wolf from the door for four years now and he's still enjoying it.

He still has not played a game, though he is slowly building up his own 10mm LoA army in between commissions, so maybe one day!
  :D

Pics of Kev's work: https://imageshack.us/user/kev1964

Nik Harwood!
Nik has been painting figures since the age of about 5 when he started trying to colour in the weapons on his older brother's Airfix plastic Afrika Korps; he made a decent amount of pocket money in junior school by painting early Citadel figures for fellow classmates playing D&D; his first 'proper' wargames armies were Colonial British and Zulus - done for a school project aged 12. He's not looked back since - apart from a brief hiatus when he was distracted by totty...his main interests are...multiple [& still include totty, 10mm or otherwise] :-)

He spends his time these days training hamsters to run really, really fast to keep his interwebs working properly...

Pics of Nik's work: http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/ and all over the Forum!

Clibinarium!
The name Clibinarium will be instantly recognisable to most people as the sculptor behind our fantastic Late Roman, AWI and LoA ranges, along with ranges for other companies in 15mm and 28mm.  Before sculpting took over his every waking second he was a pretty good painter as well!

Pics of Clibinarium's work: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=213.0

Andy Mac!
Andy is a hobby painter who enjoys both the researching of the units and the painting of the figures.  He started many years ago painting 28mm ACW figures, and his work was seen by Dave Marks who wrote "In the Name of Glory" Napoleonic rules and he asked if he could use Andy's figures in his ACW rule set "Honor & Glory".

A few years later, Andy started doing some 10mm work and really enjoyed the scale.  One of his customers asked if he would like to do both some ACW and AWI in 10mm for him.  The ACW being a mix of manufacturers and the AWI being Pendraken's.  He took up the offer and has not looked back since.  Andy's view has always been if the artist can put that amount of work into producing the figure then it's only fair he try to do the same when painting it.

Pics of Andy's work: http://www.displacedminiatures.com/andymac/

Techno!
Phil refuses to tell us how old he is and will only admit to being slightly older than Dave.

He's worked in the industry full time since 1987 when he joined Games Workshop as their photographer, though he'd had numerous of his painted figures in White Dwarf and various Citadel Journals before this.  From there he went on to run the figure painting unit in the studio, writing many of the 'Eavy Metal articles and helping out with the figure painting for White Dwarf and numerous rule books and games produced at the time.

After that, he was (Hah!....His word) 'put in charge' of the figure designers to help coordinate miniatures production.  After leaving Workshop in '91 he started working for various firms as a freelancer, designing figures, which he's been doing ever since.

He thinks it was '89 when he was informed that "You're chief judge for Golden Demon this year."..An experience he remembers with a slight shudder...(Though he was laughing when he said that.)  "Stroll on....You trying looking at hundreds and hundreds of entries all within a few hours......Eeeek"  

He originally thought that helping judge the Pendraken Painting Competition would be a lot less stressful and a lot more fun, but has been regretting it ever since...  ;)  He's always rather chuffed to take part though!

Good luck to everyone who enters!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Damn,
Anyone know Kev's bribe level?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Excellent looking forward to the competition

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: Womble67 on 18 January 2015, 11:25:48 PM
Excellent looking forward to the competition

Me too !
(Apart from the headaches from staring too closely at the screen, and arguing with myself.  ;) ;D ;D)
Cheers - Phil.

Leman

Will give it a first go this year.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mart678

Can I enter :D :D :D the painting completion??????

kev1964

Very low Lemmey, a bottle of red or a couple of real ales does me  ;D ;D, really looking forward to seeing the entries come in.
It's a great, fun competition ,best of luck to everyone who takes part.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

It'll be poorer for you not taking part Kev.

(does flattery work  :))
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Fenton

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 January 2015, 11:09:14 PM
Damn,
Anyone know Kev's bribe level?

Nope but I have heard that anyone that tries gets sent straight to the Goulash

I know where my own coat is thanks
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

You can only have it back when Nobby's finished chewing it, Steve. ;)
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Same old judges, same old bribes....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: mart678 on 19 January 2015, 10:47:58 AM
Can I enter :D :D :D the painting completion??????

If you want to?!   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mart678

Apart from not having spell check on yipppeeeee :D :D

Phil - was it 2 or 3 Lab pups this year.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

Having entered last year "to make up the numbers", I was astounded when one of my entries actually got two votes in the open competition. That really made my day. And I didn't need to bribe anyone.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net