Started by marie, 18 January 2015, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

All been fairly quite then  :o  :o
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

marie

yh, and you try painting mongols on Malaria drugs.....lol

Leman

I suppose it depends how many Mongols you want to paint on the Malaria drugs, bit like writing the complete works of Shakespeare on a grain of rice. Oh frack!  initially I wrote Shalespeare
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 23 January 2015, 04:31:26 PM
I suppose it depends how many Mongols you want to paint on the Malaria drugs, bit like writing the complete works of Shakespeare on a grain of rice. Oh frack!  initially I wrote Shalespeare

Flint, yes, but no ways can you make a working spearhead from sedimentary rock.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Slate works well too! :D
Once made a decent set of arrowheads from slate.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Arrowheads are much smaller than spearheads.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Worked for javelins too. Be remade a thrusting spear (but I was about 9)!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

With flint arrowheads....and having watched some clever clogs napping (?) flint...
If you ever find one, how can you be certain that it's 'genuine' prehistoric example, and not one that's been made recently ?

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Aren't hops a little soft for making arrows and spears ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There's no way of telling Techno apart from stratification evidence, if it's found in situ with other evidence it becomes dateable chap.

Also the stone age lasts the best part of 2million years, whereas the Bronze Age is about 2000 years and the Iron Age is 700 years!

And the periods overlap depending where you are in the world! Britain went into the Bronze Age early, but Iron Age late. Papua New Guinea only got to the Iron Age in the 19th century!

FierceKitty

I'd better avoid getting involved in the production side of neolithic weapons. But the one in my mind is, of course, the formidable edge which can be made of obsidian.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Surely, there weren't any folk who fashioned obsidian into weapons.....Or have I forgotten an ancient civilization ?  :D
Cheers - Phil