Dear 2015

Started by fsn, 17 January 2015, 11:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Well, we're 17 days into the new year and I thought it was time for a review.

On the plus side, my plan for a chocolate free January is going well. If it goes really well, I'm hoping for a chocolate free February, and hopefully a svelte FSN by Phalanax, so I may gather my courage and get out the house.

On the downside, I have managed to hurt my right thumb. (Don't ask how.) It's amazing how much you use your right thumb, and not just for deciding the fate of your gladiators, or giving the more adventurous lady in your life a little frisson. For example, one uses one's right thumb to hold a paintbrush.

Thanks to a change in the law, redundancy consultations need only be 45 days and not 90, so it was a less than lovely surprise to go into work in January and be told one is at risk of redundancy. The prize for retaining one's job? A pay cut.

Yesterday, I had the comfort of a little yellow package on the mat. No, the cat was not back, but my Pendraken order had arrived. I may have upset Leon with my Christmas offering, as the infantry came out as flats, the dragoons were just tiny horse heads, and the artillery had the same number of wheels as gun barrels.   

So 2015, it's not going too well is it?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Keep your chin up FSN. Anything could happen in the next 348 days.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

That's what I'm afraid of.  :(

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

FierceKitty

On the up side, I'm sure Pendraken are about to do some Aztecs this year.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

That's right. Rub it in.

Fenton

Having had two operations on my right thumb after shattering twice and having bits of bone fused together inside so now it no longer bends at the knuckle it does hinder ones painting attempts for a while. Though the worst part was not being able to use a can opener for 2 or 3 months
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

The positive aspect being that at last you got some unprocessed fresh food. Puts the mockers on the painting comp. entry though.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

We can't stop the world turning. Stay confident, fsn. It'll be daylight again. Thumbs up! (oops, sorry - poor taste! ;) )
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

So far 2015 is progressing well, as far as I'm concerned.

Bathroom revamp should finally be finished by Tuesday evening. Once I've paid the balance due, I'll have enough left over for the trip to NYC I'm planning, to see my son. Several meals out with friends organised for January and February.

Plus ... I've broken my "painter's block"!! One unit of 6mm Sumerian 'erin.summa' conscript spearmen completed, 3 reed-built transport ship conversions completed and being painted, 1 unit of 'gish.gigir' donkey carts also part painted and a unit each of 'nim' skirmishers and 'aga.ush' professional spearmen undercoated. Yay!

Think I'd just got burnt out painting WW2 Germans :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Ouch !!

Keep your chin up, Nobby !
Hope nothing turns out as bad as you fear.

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

Hope you feel better soon

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Blimey, hope things get better for you. A chocolate free life? Perish the thought!!!

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 17 January 2015, 05:21:54 PM
A chocolate free life? Perish the thought!!!

Adele decided this was a good idea for us for 2015 as well, so I'm having to get my choc-fix either at work or by smuggling it into the house.   :(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

It's been surprisingly easy so far. Think it's just a question of changing habits.