LOA Cuirassier

Started by Bunny, 13 January 2015, 10:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some knowledge and advise on the armoured Cuirassier regiments involved in this conflict.

Which countries used them, I believe Bavaria and Austria and does anyone have any links to web pages that provide uniform guides or illustrations?  Also any web pages that provide uniform guides for this period would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bunny

clibinarium

Intended for Bavaria and Austria, and some of the smaller German  states may have used them too. The musician's headgear is specifically Austrian, but a trumpeter in a hat can be substituted for other contingents. Earl of Oxford's horse wore helmets up to about 1689/90 so can be used for this regiment too (though the helmet isn't quite right);

English style (painted as Oxford's);

Germanic style

Difference is too slight to justify another pack in 10mm in my view.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Guessing those are not 10mm Clib? ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Quote from: mad lemmey on 13 January 2015, 01:56:10 PM
Guessing those are not 10mm Clib? ;)

I think you may have a point ML!   :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

clibinarium

True, they aren't 10s. I did sculpt them though so I hope the owner won't mind me swiping the photos.

Techno

Really love those !
Cheers - Phil

Bunny

Clib,

Where do you get your uniform information please

Chad

Bunny

I have most of the Editions Brokaw booklets published in the 80s. They cover quite a few of the smaller states. If I can be of help let me know.

Chad

Hertsblue

You'll probably find the War of the Spanish Succession (i.e. Marlburian) books by C.S. Grant from Caliver Books useful. There were less than twenty years between the wars.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

clibinarium

If you want one book on the uniforms of the period you could have a look at "From pike to Shot" by Grant. Its packed with info, the only thing it lacks really is flags. Not the most up to date, but still dependable.

The gold standard is probably Robert Hall's work on armies of the period which are available on CD from Baccus, they are pricey though; I'm still considering whether I can afford the latest set on the Dutch; its about 50 quid.
Also if you can get them, Mark Allen did a nice series of articles on the period in Wargames Illustrated, covering the British, Dutch, Irish Jacobites, and French (but stopping short of their cavalry and dragoons), which I love because he did them in the 90s when I was a still a kid and the sight of one of those articles was my first inspiration on the period. WI were selling the collected articles on a CD for 30 quid a while back, don't know if they still are.

Chad

Bunny

I have reviewed all the information I have covering the following armies:

Prussian, Dutch, Danish, Saxon, Palatinate, Cologne, Franconia, Swabia, Ansbach, Wurzburg, Holstein-Gottorf, Mecklenburg-Schwerin,
Hesse-Darmstadt, Hesse-Kassel and the Upper Rhine Circle.

It seems that in almost all cases Cuirassier did not wear the full helmet and breastplate, with the headgear being a hat with a steel skull cap underneath. I have only found 2 definite descriptions of units equipped the helmet and breastplate and 1 possible. Cost of the armour appears to have been the main issue; in fact one of the smaller states fitted the Cuirassier with leather breastplates because of cost.

The 2 definites are:

Franconian Regt Erbprinz von Bayreuth - White/Grey coat lined red,leather waistcoat and breeches, blackened cuirass and helmet, shabraque red edged white.

Wurzburg Cuirassier - White/Grey coat lined red, leather breeches, blackened cuirass and helmet.

The possibles are the 2 Swabian Cuirassier Regts, the information is sketchy as to whether or not they wore helmet and breastplate but reference is made to them having been purchased.

If it's of any help I also have the uniform information for the 4 Bavarian and 21 Austrian Cuirassier Regts.

Chad

Bunny

Thanks Guys,

Chad very helpfull mate.  One question for you did the Bavarian cuirrassier still wear armour and helmet?

Chad

Bunny

According to my information, yes, similar to the Austrians

Let me know if I can be of any further help

Chad

Bunny

Chad sorry to be a pain but do you have colour schemes for the Swabian and Bavarians please.....

Thank you!

Chad

Yes. Will post tomorrow.