Franco-Prussian War

Started by Javier Gomez, 12 January 2015, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Go for it and take your time Rob. I've now built up Prussian, Bavarian, Austrian and French armies and have supplied myself with rules that can be used with an opponent or solo.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Do it Rob, its taken me 5 years to be able to put three decent armies into the field but most satisfying.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

KTravlos

I have given up on trying to get my friends to join me in collecting 19th century. Though I am lucky in Turkey with at least two people who are really into it. For others I collect both armies, and set up games and if they wish to play they do. Always collect two opposed armies.

paulr

I always collect two sides, ensures you can still use them if someone moves, or drops out of your group for other reasons

I do coordinate with others so we have a mix, e.g. WWII naval I have Japanese & US (with a few Dutch & British for Java Sea) while Pierre the Shy has German, Italian, French & British
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Javier Gomez

Quote from: paulr on 27 October 2015, 12:28:48 AM
I always collect two sides, ensures you can still use them if someone moves, or drops out of your group for other reasons

I do coordinate with others so we have a mix, e.g. WWII naval I have Japanese & US (with a few Dutch & British for Java Sea) while Pierre the Shy has German, Italian, French & British

I like to collect both sides too if possible, I also have 10mm WW2 Soviets and Germans

Womble67

They are fantastic

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Ace of Spades

If only I hadn't started FPW in 6mm years ago... if only...

Still; the 'collecting opposed sides' option has proven to be the best. I also had some armies finished in other scales and then turned out to be the only one playing the period in the end. Or friends who definitely are willing to collect and paint opposing armies but are so distracted by 'life events' that the opposing army never takes the field... an easy win but not a very satisfying one.
Also in scales like 20mm and up it is not very economical to do both sides in vast numbers.
I therefore now do both sides in most 10mm armies that I own. I should add some more Boers and AWI Americans myself in the future but for the other projects I'm pretty well self-serviced.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Javier Gomez

Hello friends! You can take look to the full photographic feature of the FPW game at http://www.alphaares.com/es/2015/10/29/fotos-froeschwiller-alpha-ares-2015/

Techno

And very tasty they are, too ! :-bd
Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Matched opponents is a sine qua non for me too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Just had a chance to look at the full photographic feature  :-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd =D>

I like the grey puffs of smoke, are they cotton wool? Are they based or do they just sit on the table?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Dynamic stuff; that lot would scare the living bejasus out of me.

Glorfindel

Sorry for resurrecting this thread (well, a little bit - always worth seeing these figures
again).   

Anyway, I've just seen a recent episode of "Who do You Think You Are", featuring JK
Rowling (of Harry Potter fame) and it includes a section dealing with the aftermath of this
same battle (a large part of the French army streamed south straight through the village
of Brumath which included some of her relatives).

I only knew something of the Battle of Worth / Froeschwiller because this thread
inspired me to look.   So, thanks to Javier Gomez !

As an aside, the episode also shows some of the houses that would have stood at the
time - excellent modelling inspiration.

Phil

Leman

Sounds useful. From what I know of the region the architecture is more German than French.

Ben Waterhouse

Just read through this thread. What an inspiration! I think these have to be the best Franco-Prussian 10mm troops I have ever seen. Wonderful.
Arma Pacis Fulcra