Franco-Prussian War

Started by Javier Gomez, 12 January 2015, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Glorfindel on 25 July 2015, 09:05:30 AM

The down side is that it is too inspiring and makes you want to divert from your current
project and try FPW.   I just don't have enough hours in the day or cash to finish all the
projects I want to do.... :'(

That's not a downside! You definitely should try FPW. Listen to the voices ...

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
Https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames
Http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk

toxicpixie

If the spatula/painting stick/tongue depressor doesn't work for you, how does Nick H's "base then paint" approach :D

I've tried the cocktail stick a couple of times for "detail" work on larger figures but always revert to a stiff small brush. Just feels easier...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Subedai

When I first started wargaming back in 1970 and couldn't afford a decent brush -Christmas in the future and birthday just gone- I tried using a cocktail stick for detail. Stuck it for oh, must have been...at least...about...15 mins. Never since.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

The VERY first figures I slapped any paint on ( at all) would have been the dear old Airfix WWII Brits and Germans.
I used a pin, dipped in Humbrol enamel paint. to give the Brits dark emerald green helmets ( X_X....C'mon...I didn't know any better..I was 6 or 7) And that 'chalkie' Airfix 'Flesh' (Inna bottle  ;)) to do the hands and faces.

Hmmmm....We're getting very 'off topic' now.

Perhaps a new thread, team ?....."Your first attempts at painting".

Cheers - Phil

Leman

However, I would echo Chris' thoughts above; you really must give FPW a go, and then get dragged off down the road of buying an Austrian army which then gives two further wars. Compared with when my interest first started (late 70s) there is now so much more information, rules and figures for this and other related conflicts.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Just noticed my links in my last post had an http too many. In case anyone was stymied by that and would actually like to see them:

Bloody Big BATTLES! Yahoo group:
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

My BBB blog:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris

magwr

Hi,

All the beautiful pictures of the figures so fanatstically painted has swayed me to buy the pendraken range.

I noticed a mention of the rule set 1871 [I presume of the 1870/1866 stable] being showcased at Colours, which i hope is Colours in the UK in september. Who will be doing the game? As i would like to see the rules in action.

I have been wanting to get into the F-P war for a while but had never found a good set of rules until i stumbled across 1870 a couple of months ago, as yet haven't played them as been wavering between various manufactures and scales.

Nigel

mollinary

Bruce Weigle himself will be doing the game, with various of us UK guys helping out.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

magwr

Thanks mollinary,

Will find the game during downtime in running the wings of war participation game, that we always run at various shows.

Fantastic that the rule author/designer is going to be there.

Will it be possible to join in at all?

Nigel

Techno

Quote from: magwr on 31 July 2015, 08:24:51 PM
Hi,
All the beautiful pictures of the figures so fanatstically painted has swayed me to buy the pendraken range.
Nigel

And as that was your first post......

A very warm welcome to the forum, Nigel. :-h

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Quote from: magwr on 31 July 2015, 10:39:06 PM
Thanks mollinary,

Will it be possible to join in at all?

Nigel

I know Bruce wants to make it a participation game, so hopefully you should get a shot. Come along and say hello!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Hope ypu've got enough space to stage the 1870 scenarios. I did it in 6mm and found I didn't have enough space for the likes of Mars La Tours. I also found the games tended to go on forever, which is not my cup of tea either. The ruleset, Bloody Big Battles has solved both those problems for me. The strength of the 1870 rules for me, these days, is the wealth of information and orbats included. The same strengths go for 1859, 1866 and I assume the forthcoming 1871.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

I'm coming down for the weekend myself so I'll see you there; have been trying to meet up with Bruce for years but one thing or another always gets in the way.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

magwr

Hi,

Javier, Do you spray your figures with a Matt varnish, to protect them?

Although I have the 1859/1866/1870 rule sets, I also have 'they died for glory'  I like the wealth of information in the 1870 lot, but feel the TDFG would be a faster play to start with. What rules sets do people use and what is the preferred ones out of curiosity?

Found a yahoo group for TDFG but it seems dead as I tried to join but no reply to my request. I have found an errata document for TDFG but it's missing some charts, is there a source for the complete errata?

Look forward to meeting people at colours and having a crack at the game. :-bd

Nigel

cameronian

OK Javier, time for the Austrians now  :D
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.