Franco-Prussian War

Started by Javier Gomez, 12 January 2015, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Absolutely beautiful.  :)

Rob

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 25 October 2015, 10:56:09 AM
Beautiful figures, beautiful terrain as always Javier ... now, who are those handsome French chappies in the pale blue pantaloons ?

I think they are the Tirailleurs Algerien, or Turcos, with their dress pantaloons rather than their workaday white ones.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Yes, they are Turcos, but the trousers are not dress, they are the colder weather woollen trousers. The white trousers were linen summer wear. For most of the republican phase of the war this is how the Turcos would have dressed. Similarly in battles such as Froeschwiller, fought in August, some of the Zouave units wore their white linen summer trousers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 25 October 2015, 12:35:09 PM
Yes, they are Turcos, but the trousers are not dress, they are the colder weather woollen trousers. The white trousers were linen summer wear. For most of the republican phase of the war this is how the Turcos would have dressed. Similarly in battles such as Froeschwiller, fought in August, some of the Zouave units wore their white linen summer trousers.

I stand corrected!  :-[ :-[

My only excuse is I pressed post before I checked my sources - Leman is spot on.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Javier Gomez

Thanks guys!

Quote from: fred. on 25 October 2015, 09:43:37 AM
Excellent. I've scrolled back and forwards through the pictures many times to see all the details.

The French are looking rather out numbered!

Is the infantry basing 30x30mm? It gives a good impression en masse, with a good number of figures, but doesn't look too crowded either.

All my bases are 25mm wide, just change the depth: 20mm for infantry, 22mm for cavalry, 25mm (or what the piece need) for artillery.

Javier Gomez

Quote from: Glorfindel on 25 October 2015, 09:47:26 AM
Simply spectacular.   Beautiful figures, vivid colours and superb scenery.  

This deserves to part of something bigger - either specific to the FPW or as a
demonstration of wargaming art.

[Can I just ask - the fourth frame down - which units have the red/orange flags ?
I assume they are from one of the German States allied to Prussia.]

Phil

Yes, Württember –German could have colorful flags too! Note that they wear field caps rather than Pickelhaubes.

Javier Gomez

Quote from: cameronian on 25 October 2015, 10:56:09 AM
Beautiful figures, beautiful terrain as always Javier ... now, who are those handsome French chappies in the pale blue pantaloons ?

Yes, Turcos. I painted the three regiments, two with blue trousers, one with white summer trousers.

Take a look to my Bavarian Corps commander stand, questioning French prisoners (a wounded Turco, a zouave and an artilleryman)

Westmarcher

I could gaze at these pictures all day long.  8->

And great Command vignette!   :-bd

Truly inspirational!  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

cameronian

Blue Pantaloon Order, I see, I see.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Techno

Terrific !  8)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Katana_bob

Wow, these are fantastic...
I'd love to do the Franco-Prussian war in 10mm, but none of my war gaming mates are interested in the period :-(
I might have to just go it alone..... Another project for next year then :-)
Rob