Pendraken Painting Competition 2015!

Started by Leon, 08 January 2015, 02:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

08 January 2015, 02:55:09 AM Last Edit: 23 February 2015, 04:47:21 PM by Leon

Last year we had 214 excellent entries, once again pushing the standards of 10mm painting even higher!

The competition always runs throughout the month of February, so your can make your entries anytime between 1st February and midnight on Sat 28th Feb.  There's still time to get your orders in if you need to make any last minute entries!

The rules are generally the same as last year, with the usual 7 categories, so there should be a suitable home for every entry!  As with last year, each entry is allowed 2 images, except for the 'Open Army!' category, which is allowed up to 5 images.  One major change for 2015 is that we are no longer allowing montage entries, just to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field.

Categories:

Foot - Pre-20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures on a single base, and pre-1900.
Foot - 20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures on a single base/movement tray.
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures on a single base/movement tray.
Vehicle - Single vehicle on or off base.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Anything Fantasy or Sci-Fi oriented, on a single base/movement tray.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 100x100mm.  Includes single figures, artillery bases, command stands, etc.
Open - Army! - Armies, Units, Dungeons, whole table setups, anything!

If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Rules  - Please Read!

- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken.  Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.

1. You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!

2. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed 2 images (except for the 'Army!' category, see below).  As mentioned above, there are no montages this year, although you can edit your two images into a single file for the sake of uploading/hosting them.  If you have any difficulty posting pics, they can be emailed to Pendraken and we'll put them up for you.

3. The 'Open - Army!' category may have 5 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!

4. All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.

5. Entries should have been completed in the last 12 months.

6. You can post WIP photo's if you wish, and you can also post extra photo's of your work elsewhere on the Forum.  These will not count towards your competition entry.

7. The winners will be decided by a team of judges (to be announced very soon!).  Entries will be judged on the painting first and foremost, but remember that effective basing can make a nice entry look even better.

8. Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.

9. Pendraken may use your pics in future promo/marketing, catalogue covers or web pics.  Entering gives your permission for your pics to be used.

I'm working hard on the prizes at the moment, as the years go by it's getting harder to find people to tap up for some freebies, but I'm hoping to have some great products lined up for the winners!  I'll get those announced in the next week or so hopefully.  There will also be a change to the Judging panel this year, so keep an eye out for the new guy!

Remember, the opening day for entries is 1st Feb, which gives you just enough time to get any figures ordered, grab your brushes and get busy!  We've seen some great work displayed on the Forum over the past 12 months, so we're hoping to see some of it making an appearance in the Competition!

If there's any questions, let us know!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

WeeWars

To save editing time at Pendraken HQ, it might be an idea to give the maximum pixel width of images so entries can conform to the preferred size.

Most gamers don't mount 16 miniatures on one base, so folk new to the competition might like to know that, if last year is anything to go by, there will be entries of up to 16 figures on more than one single base.

And thanks for arranging the competition again this year!
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: WeeWars on 14 January 2015, 03:48:45 PM
To save editing time at Pendraken HQ, it might be an idea to give the maximum pixel width of images so entries can conform to the preferred size.

Pixels-wise, ideally they would be upto 1000 pixels wide to fit a standard webpage window, but it's not a hard job to edit them once they're been posted.  The forum can resize them, so it's just a width tag in the [ img ] code and they're OK.  Sometimes I go through and edit some of them anyway, just to get them to a better size for viewing.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Please don't confuse me, I'm old. My pictures come through one size only.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Good!

HAve kept a few bits i painted a couple of months ago just for the competition! I started early this time  :D

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Matt J

Can a helicopter go into the vehicle category?

thanks

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Leon

Matt J

cheers Leon

Although shame you don't do an open door Huey, would have saved me a bit of time last night!
Beep

Ironduke

I'm actually feeling a bit nervous at the prospect, God knows why, you send a picture, you win or you don't.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Quote from: Ironduke on 15 January 2015, 06:18:46 PM
I'm actually feeling a bit nervous at the prospect, God knows why, you send a picture, you win or you don't.

And you get to vote in the People's Choice Award  :D
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

QuoteI'm actually feeling a bit nervous at the prospect, God knows why, you send a picture, you win or you don't.

Its a bit of fun and a chance to see some really good work. Don't stress on it  ;)
Beep

Ithoriel

I have the perfect solution to nervousness about entering the competition .... I'm not nearly good enough at painting to win :)

I hope to get my WW2 Russian General and entourage painted and entered but it's about taking part, supporting Pendraken and getting lots of inspiration!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Another year another painting comp. It seems no time since the last one!!

Quote from: Ironduke on 15 January 2015, 06:18:46 PM

I can understand this, its quite a big competition, and there are some really good entries. I'm ever hopeful of getting another win (or even second) but the standard of the competition has increased much more quickly than my painting skills, over the last few years!!

But its also a fun competition, and I also find it makes me dig out some old stuff to finish off.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts