Show: Salute, London

Started by Leon, 07 January 2015, 02:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Steve J

Will try and remember to pop by and say hello.

Fenton

Quote from: Hertsblue on 31 March 2015, 10:05:44 AM
and in his defence the perpetrator made the excuse that he was exploring the parameters of the rules. You may draw your own conclusions.... 

That's my type of standard response when my army gets butchered, though remembering the rules is one of the problems I have
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mollinary

Quote from: Hertsblue on 31 March 2015, 10:05:44 AM
We did. When we'd realised that a "unit" was a brigade (that would be a "formation" in our world) everything went swimmingly - particularly von Kirchbach's attempt to ram a brigade column across a railway bridge into the teeth of a mitrailleuse battery and two battalions of Chassepots. It was a smallish (one corps per side) training exercise, and in his defence the perpetrator made the excuse that he was exploring the parameters of the rules. You may draw your own conclusions.... 

Any chance of a review/battle report?  :-[

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

We've been busy moulding all sorts over the past few weeks, so we've got some new goodies ready for Salute:

Napoleonic British Army Packs
Containing:
90 x Centre Company
16 x Flank Company
30 x Foot Command
15 x Dragoons
15 x Rifles

£25
(There's no artillery in these as we didn't get the guns moulded in time.)

Warband Barbarian Army Packs
Containing:
3 units of Warriors (75 figures)
1 unit of Archers (25)
1 unit of Bison-Riders (12)
1 unit of Command (5)
1 unit of Shamans (5)
1 unit of Catapults (2)

£27

SCW Italian Army Packs
Containing:
Whatever Dave put in them!
£20

These are all available on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure to get over to the Pendraken stand to grab yours!  We'll also have all of the other recent releases here as well, including the Pict army packs, Comets, trucks, Cent's and more! 

We've also got a package deal on Warband armies, so you can grab any two army packs + the Warband rules, for the bargain price of £65!

We hope to see you there!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: mollinary on 31 March 2015, 11:23:19 AM
Any chance of a review/battle report?  :-[

Mollinary

Regret I omitted to take my camera. However, I'm going to post the last day of Gettysburg - our second BBB game.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leon

Thanks to everyone who came along this weekend, we had an excellent time and our busiest Salute to date.  There seemed to be even more people there this year, and I heard there were 5800 advance tickets alone, so there must have been 6500+ with the walkup sales as well.  The lighting also seemed better this year, which was good.  The only downside was the temperature during the first couple of hours was very hot, I was glad I'd opted for my shorts!  Once the majority of people were in, they opened the previous concourse entrance which seemed to allow a bit more airflow through.

All in all, a great day for us and we always enjoy meeting people and having a chat.  I didn't get chance to leave the stand all day, so I've got no idea how everyone else found it!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Glad to hear it was a good day, Leon.  :-bd
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: Leon on 26 April 2015, 11:04:13 PM
The lighting also seemed better this year, which was good. 

Yes, they've gone over to LEDs, I notice. That must have cost them a pretty penny.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Orcs

Yes lighting was much better

Did not notice the temperature at the beginning.

It must be down to your age Leon - your getting hot flushes,

OR you were getting nervous about having to look after the kids on your own  for a couple of days  ;D

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: Leon on 26 April 2015, 11:04:13 PM
All in all, a great day for us and we always enjoy meeting people and having a chat.  I didn't get chance to leave the stand all day, so I've got no idea how everyone else found it!

I went, with No1 Son.  You were surrounded by customers so I didn't bother to interrupt business but I'm glad it was a success. 

Notwithstanding the cavernous venue it was indeed oppressively and unpleasantly hot which really spoiled it.  It was also, I would say, approaching two thirds Sci-fi/Fantasy this year, so a disappointment if that genre is not your thing.  As many of the trade stands and games were, consequently, of no interest we were happy to leave earlier than usual on grounds of environment as well as content.  It must be they first show I've been to in decades that I've come away from without a single purchase. 

Why they have to hold Colours on the same weekend as the London Marathon is also a mystery as it makes the commute into London almost as mental as a weekday.  It really has to be in a class of its own to compensate and, for me, it was very ordinary this year.

I will probably give it a miss next time, and Colours is (are?) back, but I'm still in recovery mode at present so who knows how I'll feel in twelve months.  

Leon

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 27 April 2015, 10:32:27 AM
Did not notice the temperature at the beginning.

It must be down to your age Leon - your getting hot flushes,

OR you were getting nervous about having to look after the kids on your own  for a couple of days  ;D

That could be it!

Quote from: John Cook on 27 April 2015, 12:04:12 PM
I went, with No1 Son.  You were surrounded by customers so I didn't bother to interrupt business but I'm glad it was a success. 

Why they have to hold Salute on the same weekend as the London Marathon is also a mystery as it makes the commute into London almost as mental as a weekday.  It really has to be in a class of its own to compensate and, for me, it was very ordinary this year.

I will probably give it a miss next time, and Colours is (are?) back, but I'm still in recovery mode at present so who knows how I'll feel in twelve months.   

Shame we missed you, it was quite manic at times during the day! 

On the Salute dates, I have heard that they get a better rate for the hall if they're happy to have the same weekend as the Marathon, so I wouldn't see that changing in the future.  With the costs of hiring the Excel, any savings that can be made are probably worth doing!

Dave Fielder

I enjoyed the show and made some purchases (NIL 10mm on this event ... why? I don't know); took a friend's son up with me whom I'm slowly converting from GW to "anything else". T'was a long day to/from Devon in one hop (Legionary this weekend as well); crowds were busy but it was the London Marathon ... perhaps next year I might do Salute and then a Marathon (seriously considering it for Combat Stress and Henry Hyde's efforts in MW). I only lost my friend's son once on the Docklands Light Railway; he got pushed on the train as the rest of us waved him goodbye "See you at the next stop" we shouted as his wide eyes departed the station!  @-) ... mobile phones are useful for childcare after all: "Are you coming for me?"  :( ... "Maybe"  :-\

Best bits: Being talked into a 20 minute speed Zombie painting competition; meeting Walter (2nd oldest wargame buddy) from Commission Figures www.commission-figurines.co.uk; looking at figures; buying stuff; joining Continental Wars Society and meeting some of the people on the inter-web forums.
Worst bits: None really ... even the crowds were not a real problem as the hall was plenty big enough; it was a bit warm - but then I've been to Baghdad  :P
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Aksu

Hullo,
This was the first Salute I saw, really enjoyed it, especially having the chance to say Hi to Leon. Did do some shopping, not too much in my opinion... But the security chap at Heathrow did ask me "Sir, do you have an obsession?" as I was laying out the lead from my hand luggage for him to inspect.
Looking forward to painting the 30YW figs I got. Finally something other than blue and gray!
Cheers,
Aksu of Finland

Leon

Quote from: Aksu on 30 April 2015, 10:26:00 AM
This was the first Salute I saw, really enjoyed it, especially having the chance to say Hi to Leon.
Aksu of Finland

It was really good to meet you and thanks for the kind words at the show, I'm glad you've been happy with the service!  Good to hear you enjoyed the day as well, we had a good time ourselves. 

8)