Show: WMMS, Alumwell

Started by Leon, 07 January 2015, 02:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

getagrip

Just back from Alumwell; lovely little show.

Some great demo games including Pixie's who, by his own admission, may have had far too many mechs on the board.

Also made my first 6mm WW2 purchase of a GHQ Panze Kampfgruppe.  I didn't want to go down the GHQ route but the minis are too lovely :)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Steve J

Picked up some books from Wild Geese Books (they share the stand with Pendraken) at excellent prices. Also some more Modern 28mm figures from Empress Minis, plus a couple of WS&S mags for a quid each. Some nice games on show but not too much to interest me this year, apart from a Great Northern War game in 28mm. Definitely will go next year as it's a nice size show, not too far away and only £3.00 to get in.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: getagrip on 08 March 2015, 01:51:38 PM
Also made my first 6mm WW2 purchase of a GHQ Panze Kampfgruppe.  I didn't want to go down the GHQ route but the minis are too lovely :)

You will have at least 3 vehicles you cant use, and paid far too much. H&R and Scotia are just as good.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Had a great day as always, posted a show report on my blog with some photos

Blog Link http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/alumwell-wargame-show-2015.html

getagrip

Quote from: Norm on 08 March 2015, 04:55:02 PM

Blog Link http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/alumwell-wargame-show-2015.html

Agree with you on the dropzone commander game; gorgeous layout.

Fenton

Quote from: Norm on 08 March 2015, 04:55:02 PM

Thanks Norm. Unlike Gareth you had some consideration for the rest of us and took some pics 😉
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 08 March 2015, 05:14:58 PM
Thanks Norm. Unlike Gareth you had some consideration for the rest of us and took some pics 😉

:P

Would have taken some photos but I don't like you :-*

Fenton

Quote from: getagrip on 08 March 2015, 05:18:03 PM
:P

Would have taken some photos but I don't like you :-*

Probably been out of focus anyway ;)
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Good review and agree with your comments. I forgot my camera at home so good to see that someone remembered :-[.

Ithoriel

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 March 2015, 04:21:40 PM
You will have at least 3 vehicles you cant use, and paid far too much. H&R and Scotia are just as good.

IanS

Probably right on the first couple of points.

However I disagree about the others being "just as good." I'd rate GHQ vehicles as being far better than the others but would say H&R infantry are far better than GHQ. Adler infantry look weird close up but look brilliant once painted and on the tabletop (IMHO) but seem too large next to GHQ vehicles for my taste.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 March 2015, 04:21:40 PM

IanS

No, pretty happy with the selection actually.  I want to limit the "BIG" stuff and use more of the lighter vehicles.

Just wanted a group to start building from. :)

Quote from: Fenton on 08 March 2015, 05:31:41 PM
Probably been out of focus anyway ;)

;D

toxicpixie

Yeah, I rather over egged the pudding in numbers! Still, two turns later and the field was a lot clearer... That's what combined firepower and a few good old fashioned decapatation shots will do for you :)

Show seemed well attended, and no one packing up till four-ish was nice - looks like trade was good and the games fun?

Sadly nothing shifted in the B&B - anyone need desert hills, sand dunes or a greaco-elf temple do they?!

Didn't get much chance to wander round, except at 900mph, but did get a chance euro say hello to a few people which is good!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shedman

I had a enjoyable time at WMMS

I didn't get to meet Nathan

I did get to meet Matt of Munslow and was delighted to hold his exquisite Kublai Khan

Alan