Show: Vapnartak, York

Started by Leon, 07 January 2015, 01:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Roy

I came. I saw. I spent a lot of money at the Pendraken stand.

Bought those rules people are banging on about. Those the WW2 decals I also bought are the star buy for my day, as I'd just bought some Museum Miniatures aeroplanes and was on the lookout for roundels etc.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

mollinary

First time at this show, and was VERY impressed. Great facility, modern, light, spacious, plenty of parking. I was allowed in free as a mark of respect for my advanced age and decrepitude (somewhat surprisingly, a first!).  Catering was reasonably priced and excellent,  with very good service. Loved the steak and mushroom pie. Good attendance, of all ages, and including a number of ladies. Kids seemed well catered for, with kudos going to the stalwarts who put on a game with Spencer Smith style 18th century figures using the original Charge rules. Everyone seemed to be having a blast. Met lots  of old friends, and some new ones. Only regret was spending very little money!  Top marks to the York club for a great start to 2015.  =D> =D> =D>

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Great to read everyone enjoyed themselves. Wish I had been there - maybe wrangle a trip to York with the missus next year? - can but hope.
[As for the shy wargamers, and having run a couple of demo games myself, I can only shake my head ....]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

sunjester

4 of us drove up from the Tring Club for the day, had a really excellent time and found several bargains! I like the tabletop sale idea, it encourages you to go around every hour or so and each time I found something new. It's a good show to visit. Plus Orcs got to amuse himself playing the children's game of "Spot the animals" on the very nice 18th Century game.

getagrip

Quote from: Westmarcher on 01 February 2015, 09:57:35 PM
maybe wrangle a trip to York with the missus next year? - can but hope.

Now that's a good idea  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Orcs

Four of us came up from Hertfordshire.  We had a good time.

We were unable to eat in the resturant mainly due to the number of people sitting at tables - reading books, checking there phones etc- basically doing anything but eatiing or drinking.

Apart from that it was a good show.  Got the most amazing bargain a the table top sale.  100 Pendraken WW2 Americans, half of them nicely painted for "FREE".  Thank you whoever you are if you read this forum.

They will form a nice CoC army

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Jc

Very good show this year,lots to see and plenty to buy.

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Crikey, when did you manage to take those photographs, the afternoon?

When I was there most of the areas were standing room only and in some you couldn't even get near the traders for the crush ... maybe I should have attended later in the day, as crowds aren't my cup of tea.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Bodvoc

Nice report and good to know who is behind the Warband rules. Good job that man!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Steve J

Luddite

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 04 February 2015, 09:48:36 AM
Crikey, when did you manage to take those photographs, the afternoon?

When I was there most of the areas were standing room only and in some you couldn't even get near the traders for the crush ... maybe I should have attended later in the day, as crowds aren't my cup of tea.

Yeah, tried to get there in the morning but we ended up arriving around 2pm.  Even then it was busy, but talking to a lot of the traders it seems it was manic earlier in the day.
We did a 'photo run' around 3.30 and by then things were calming down.  I rarely turn up early for shows - hate crowds too.   ;)

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Techno

Excellent pics, Lud....or should I say Mrs Lud.
Looks like a damn fine show.
Cheers - Phil

Luddite

You should indeed my friend.   ;) :D