Fred's 2015 Painting Diary

Started by fred., 01 January 2015, 08:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Looking good. :)
Cheers - Phil

fred.

04 May 2015, 08:49:32 PM #106 Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 08:51:29 PM by fred 12df
We played some WWII on Friday, for the first time in ages - we used BKCII and played a North Africa game, set in early 1941. With 3 of the players only having played the odd game before, and it being ages since I'd played. It took a while to get going, but we got in the swing of it fairly quickly.

The game was an Afrika Korps victory, their better tanks and better command told in the end. The main British formation, a mixed Jock column of Matildas, Lorried infantry, and on table 25pdrs struggled with command rolls all game - and although the Germans struggled to get their CO on the board for the first couple of turns (even with CV 10) this didn't end up hampering them too much.

In getting ready for this game, and showing some of my other WWII models to a mate, I realised how dis-organised my stuff was, so I have dragged most of the boxes and drawers out this weekend, and sorted most stuff out - and took the chance to take some photos.

First up, the North Africa Stuff

British Infantry

British Armour - both early and late

Afrika Korps

Most of these units are not quite finished - all are at least painted, but need some detailing, then a wash and dry brush, and finally some decals.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

That bit was straight forward!!

Next up Early War - France 1940

French Forces

There are a few BEF units in this drawer too - this is a pretty small force, even if bulked out with infantry or soft-skins from the late war forces.

A decent sized force, with rather a lot of tanks, about half painted, all need decals - but I have some that I picked up from Leon the other year at Salute. Not much of the infantry is painted, but most of the artillery is.

German Blitzkrieg

A medium sized force, quite a few of the Panzers are fully painted and decalled - but the soft skins and the arty need some work. I don't have dedicated infantry for this force and will use my Late War ones.

The infantry in this drawer is based on small bases for use with Chain of Command (there is more infantry elsewhere.).

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Now it starts to get a bit bonkers - the above are all about playable, a force that will fit on the table with a few alternatives.

Late War - Germans - not built around any particular historical formation, but broadly around the forces used in the Market Garden Campaign. So a wide mix to provide assorted Kampfegruppe as needed.

Infantry and Artillery (and a lot of the infantry has now been rebased to smaller bases for CoC)

Panzers and half-tracks

And some more - that need a bit of finishing off

fred.

Now the small restrained British for NW Europe - this lot is getting on for an Armoured Division at 1:platoon scale.

Infantry, with half-tracks for the Motor Battalion.

Infantry and Arty

Armoured Recce Regt and Sherman Regt

Another Armoured Regiment, and lots of soft-skins.

Self-propelled Arty and AT. 79th Armoured Div Funnies, and a few Churchills

Stuff!! Armoured Cars for Recce Regt, 17pdrs, heavy arty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wow! Great figures, what a lovely collection. 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Man after my own heart, Fred. Mob-handed or nothing! Keep it up.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Stroll on !  :o
Cheers - Phil

fred.

Thanks chaps

Now I just need to work out what else I need, and finish off the basing on lots of stuff. 

kev1964

What a great collection Fred, and beautifully painted.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

hi Fred that's certainly an impressive collection you've got there.  Just one query though I assume that the German Sd.Kfz. 251's are Pendrakens. Where did you get the seated crew figures.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

Excellent stuff Fred!
(I think you may have a WW2 fixation  ;))
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fsn

It's not a fixation, it's a calling!  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Andy - the 251s are from another manufacturer beginning with P - and the handy passenger strips come with their transports. I would think these would be quite an easy thing for Phil or one of the other sculptors to put together, especially as there are already seated figures.

I'm not sure it's just a WWII fixation it might be a 10mm one - I make it 14 'A4 layers'* of WII above, and there are 2 more of British Airborne that I forgot to photo. So 16 A4 layers of WWII.

From a very quick count up I think I have 15 A4 layers of Fantasy figures and I have lots of unpainted fantasy stuff as well, but have very little I painted WWII.

There is a bit of other historical stuff too perhaps 4 or 5 layers.

* A4 layers being my new preferred measure of painted figures - even if some of the layers are perhaps foolscap.

Womble67

Quote from: fred    12df on 05 May 2015, 06:18:32 PM
Andy - the 251s are from another manufacturer beginning with P - and the handy passenger strips come with their transports. I would think these would be quite an easy thing for Phil or one of the other sculptors to put together, especially as there are already seated figures.

Thanks fred much appreciated

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!