The Adventures of Kampfgruppe Klink

Started by bigjackmac, 31 December 2014, 05:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #3
0630 28 May 1940

Following the fighting in and around Flavion, KG Klink was briefly pulled out of the line to rest, refit, perform maintenance on their weapons, machines, and equipment, and bring in a few replacements.  They were actually parked outside the Dunkirk perimeter when they were called back to action; further south, German forces had forced a crossing on the Somme.  At 0600 27 on May, the Allies counterattacked the German bridgehead, striking the German 57th Infantry Division southwest of Abbeville, in an attempt to reach the encircled Allied troops at Dunkirk.

Unbeknownst to the Germans, the French French 4e DCr (or 4th Division Cuirassee, 4th Armored Division) arrived in the battle area that evening.  The French force, heavily armed with Char B1, Somua S-35, and Hotchkiss light tanks, immediately set about reorganizing, preparing to attack on the morning of 28 May.

But KG Klink moved all through the night in order to reach the battle area. arriving at approximately  0500 on 28 May.  The plan was for KG Klink to counterattack down the Blangy-Abbevile Road, hoping to flank the French 2e DLC (2nd Cavalry Division), maybe even cut all the way across and in behind the British 51st Highland Division, cutting off the British 1st Armored Division.  With that, KG Klink set off, passing through the German 217th Infantry Regiment, launching its attack down the Blangy-Abbeville Road.  KG Klink passed through Villers sur Mareuil, then Huppy, and were moving towards St Maxent en Vimeu, when they encountered trouble near the three (fictional) villages, Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, on the River Bleu.

The first fight saw Colonel Klink lead the 1st Grenadier Platoon, supported by Stugs, in the attack on Dujours.  Repulsed, they were reinforced by the 4th Grenadier Platoon and drove the French force back onto Hill 44.

The second fight saw 1st Lt Tausch, lead his 3rd Grenadier Platoon into the assault on Hill 34.  The attack stalled in several locations, but the Lieutenant's skillful leadership maneuvered his troops until they were able to unhinge the enemy's defensive line.

The third fight sees the Reconnaissance Company Commander, 1Lt Wehner, lead his men forward to seize the bridge over the River Bleu at Deture.

The overall area of operations, and that stupid north-seeking arrow at top right is incorrect, north is to far left...  The three villages are, from left to right: Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, and the hills are, from left to right: Hill 34, Hill 44, and Hill 54.  The River Bleu runs east-west down the center of the table.

My intent is to play a series of battles on a 6' x 4' layout, using small pieces, maybe 2' x 2' with 10mm troops.  I've gone back to my old standby, Ivan's "5Core Company Command."

The red arrow showing the axis of attack.

The Reconnaissance Company elements move south towards Deture, past the farmhouse on the right, and with Major Schultz leading 4th Grenadier Platoon up on the left.

The French CO (center right) looks on as one of his 25mm anti-tank guns (bottom right) opens fire on LCpl Fasbender's armored car!

And the other French ATG (bottom right) quickly joins in.

The German motorcycle troops attempt to force their way across the bridge, under fire.

Not their best plan...

Sgt Keck's Panzer II catches the French in the open, trying to reinforce their front-line positions. 

This was a straight-up street brawl!  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/08/kg-klink-france-game-10.html

At this point all attention shifted back to the north, where Colonel Klink was busy scratching together a force to go and take Hill 44, securing the eastern flank of his penetration towards Toujour.

V/R,
Jack

Steve J

Wow, another cracking game and AAR Jack :)!

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kustenjaeger

Jack

Very enjoyable.

How are you creating the OB's for each action?  Do you select for KG Klink from available assets or is the choice randomised in some way?  Are the French selections from the Five Core army generator?

Regards

Edward.

bigjackmac

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it, and appreciate you saying so!

Edward - Unfortunately, no, right now I'm just eyeballing the OOBs and picking what I want.  My goal for the Germans was to finish up the Fall of France by getting each of the rifle platoons, with some support, into at least one more fight, and to do the same with each tank platoon, so I organized the mini-campaign that way, then just threw up whatever I thought would give a good fight for the French, with plenty of random events to spice it up.

I am, however, a big fan of the 5Core "generators," the problem (in terms of why I don't always use them) being fitting the generators into my ongoing campaigns.  For example, it sucks for the Germans to be in the attack, but have less infantry and less support than the defenders which, with my dice, happens all too frequently, so then I end up fudging anyway, giving the Germans two extra rifle squads and an extra tank, while taking away a French squad and an MG.  It seems to work better if you don't worry about keeping unit integrity, if you just let it be chaotic, I.e., a Pz II from 1st Plt, a Pz IV from 4th Plt, and a Stug III from the Assault Gun Plt.  It can really be a lot of fun, but makes it tough to make sure all the troops on your roster end up getting in the fight at some point.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #4
0715 28 May 1940

Following the fighting in and around Flavion, KG Klink was briefly pulled out of the line to rest, refit, perform maintenance on their weapons, machines, and equipment, and bring in a few replacements.  They were actually parked outside the Dunkirk perimeter when they were called back to action; further south, German forces had forced a crossing on the Somme.  At 0600 27 on May, the Allies counterattacked the German bridgehead, striking the German 57th Infantry Division southwest of Abbeville, in an attempt to reach the encircled Allied troops at Dunkirk.

Unbeknownst to the Germans, the French French 4e DCr (or 4th Division Cuirassee, 4th Armored Division) arrived in the battle area that evening.  The French force, heavily armed with Char B1, Somua S-35, and Hotchkiss light tanks, immediately set about reorganizing, preparing to attack on the morning of 28 May.

But KG Klink moved all through the night in order to reach the battle area. arriving at approximately  0500 on 28 May.  The plan was for KG Klink to counterattack down the Blangy-Abbevile Road, hoping to flank the French 2e DLC (2nd Cavalry Division), maybe even cut all the way across and in behind the British 51st Highland Division, cutting off the British 1st Armored Division.  With that, KG Klink set off, passing through the German 217th Infantry Regiment, launching its attack down the Blangy-Abbeville Road.  KG Klink passed through Villers sur Mareuil, then Huppy, and were moving towards St Maxent en Vimeu, when they encountered trouble near the three (fictional) villages, Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, on the River Bleu.

The first fight saw Colonel Klink lead the 1st Grenadier Platoon, supported by Stugs, in the attack on Dujours.  Repulsed, they were reinforced by the 4th Grenadier Platoon and drove the French force back onto Hill 44.

The second fight saw 1st Lt Tausch, lead his 3rd Grenadier Platoon into the assault on Hill 34.  The attack stalled in several locations, but the Lieutenant's skillful leadership maneuvered his troops until they were able to unhinge the enemy's defensive line.

The third fight saw the Reconnaissance Company Commander, 1Lt Wehner, seize the bridge at Deture after some very heavy street fighting.

The fourth fight sees Colonel Klink lead the remnants of the 1st Grenadier Platoon up Hill 44 to eliminate enemy forces in the southeast.
The overall area of operations, and that stupid north-seeking arrow at top right is incorrect, north is to far left...  The three villages are, from left to right: Dujour, Deture, and Toujour, and the hills are, from left to right: Hill 34, Hill 44, and Hill 54.  The River Bleu runs east-west down the center of the table.

Things get off to a great start when the French anti-tank gun begins firing downslope...

Immobilizing Sgt Kulle's Stug and causing his crew to bail out!  And not only that, but Sgt Eisen's squad is suppressed as well!

Things get heated atop the hill, and Colonel Klink is wounded leading an infantry assault (German casualty figures in the French position)!!!

But the French are eventually overtaken, which allows Major Schultz to lead 4th Grenadier Platoon up to the river, but that damned French mortar atop Hill 54 (off camera to top right) is still dropping rounds into Deture (top center), so the Major turns east and begins paralleling the river (center)...

You don't know how many years I waited to take this photograph ;)

To catch all the details, please check the blog at:
link

The stage is set for Major Schultz to lead 4th Grenadier Platoon and 1st Panzer Platoon into Toujour, but it's going to be a tough nut to crack!

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Another cracking report, Jack !  :)

Super piccies, as per usual !!

Cheers - Phil

Glorfindel

Great idea for a game.   You have probably inspired a few people to
look again a 1940 era WW2.

The terrain really caught my eye, particularly the trees and houses.   
I really liked the look of these and wondered where they came from ?

Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, glad you liked it!

Glorfindel- I've certainly been having a good time, and glad to hear my batreps might be a bit inspirational.
The hedges, trees, and buildings are al 15mm from Crescent Root.

V/R,
Jack

Steve J

Another cracking and inspirational AAR Jack :).

bigjackmac

Steve,

Thanks man, you flatter me! I, obviously, am a huge fan of the rules, though they're certainly not everyone's cup of tea. As you look through the rules, let me know if you have any questions or issues, or are curious about what I'm doing, I'd be happy to help. They've got some mechanisms that are quite different from a lot of rulesets out there, take a bit getting used to. The first time I played, I absolutely hated them!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #5
0815 28 May 1940

The first fight saw Colonel Klink lead the 1st Grenadier Platoon, supported by Stugs, in the attack on Dujours.  Repulsed, they were reinforced by the 4th Grenadier Platoon and drove the French force back onto Hill 54.

The third fight saw the Reconnaissance Company Commander, 1Lt Wehner, seize the bridge at Deture after some very heavy street fighting.

The fourth fight saw Colonel Klink go down in a blaze of glory atop Hill 54, the remainder of his Stugs and 1st Grenadier Platoon chewed to pieces, though still able to force the French off the hilltop.

The fifth fight sees Major Schultz, the Kampgruppe Executive Officer (and now Acting CO, he just doesn't know it yet) leading a pincer attack on objective, the French village of Toujour, with the 4th Grenadier Platoon on the left and the 1st Panzer Platoon on the right.

A bigger fight in store this go round.  The opposing forces, with Germans on left and French on right.  The French are completely made of Minifigs UK troops, while the German infantry is Minifigs, but the tanks and command stand are Pendraken.

The German attack kicks off, with infantry on the left (top left) and armor on the right (center).  While still mutually supporting, they were supposed to be attacking in tandem as a one-two punch, but the French mortars still dropping on Deture forced the German infantry to move their jump-off point further east (top).

Out on the French far right flank, a lone squad of riflemen stands resolute against the invaders.

The German tanks push forward, nearing the edge of town, but having to slow down as their infantry support (top left), held up by machine gun fire from the town and mortar fire from Hill 44 (bottom right), has barely gotten off its start line.

Which allows the French ATGs to get more shots in on the lightly armored Panzer Is and IIs.  The Panzers put up a helluva fight in the center...

But take a helluva beating.

The German infantry, though hard pressed, take advantage of the sacrifice of the Panzer bretheren by forcing their way into the town.

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/08/kg-klink-france-game-12.html

Next up, French tanks!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

Ambush at Abbeville, #6
1000 28 May 1940

The fourth fight saw Colonel Klink go down in a blaze of glory atop Hill 44, the remainder of his Stugs and 1st Grenadier Platoon chewed to pieces, though still able to force the French off the hilltop.

The fifth fight saw Major Schultz, the Kampfgruppe Executive Officer, lead the assault into the French village of Toujour.  The attached panzer platoon was roughly handled, and the infantry didn't fair much better, with Major Schultz wounded while leading a close assault to secure the village.  However, no sooner was the village taken then strong enemy forces appeared, forcing not only the 4th Grenadier Platoon to fall back from Toujour, but also the Reconnaissance Company to abandon the bridge at Deture.

My intent is to play a series of battles on a 6' x 4' layout, using small pieces, maybe 2' x 2' with 10mm troops.  I've gone back to my old standby, Ivan's "5Core Company Command."

The sixth fight sees Captain Bohm, the Panzer Company Commander, lead his 3rd and 4th Panzer Platoons into battle against the French counterattack.

The moment you've all been waiting for, steel on steel. The French are a mix of Minifigs UK and Pendraken vehicles, while the German tanks are all Pendraken.

Captain Bohm, the senior officer left in KG Klink at this point, stops briefly to confer with Lt Wehner, the acting Kampfgruppe Commander (normally the Reconnaissance Company Commander).  Lt Wehner orients the Captain to the terrain and updates him on the friendly and enemy tactical situation and location, but before he leaves, Captain Bohm asks Lt Wehner to remain as the overall tactical commander for KG Klink as he (Capt Bohm) wishes to direct and participate in the upcoming armored battle.  "Those French heavy tanks are truly monsters, and it's going to take every gun we've got to stop them."

"Good luck, Sir!" wished Lt Wehner, as Captain Bohm's Panzer IV raced off to the south.

First blood goes to the Germans when Sgt Fittzbaum, the 3rd Panzer Platoon Commander (bottom center, with tank commander figure), spots the French light tanks moving on the slope of Hill 54 (top center right).  "Gunner, enemy tank hull down on Hill 54, 12 o'clock, 400 meters, armor piercing, fire!"

"On the way!"

Sgt Graebner duels with a Char B1 in Deture (top center right) as SSgt Mangold and Cpl Raush push their tanks towards the bridge (far right).

But indeed, here be monsters.

To see how the fight shook out, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/08/kg-klink-france-game-13.html

Kampfgruppe Klink is hanging on by a thread, with nothing left on the battlefield to stop the two French tanks, but an unlikely hero is on the way, and is currently marshalling forces (in the form of the remaining Panzer Platoon and the Panzerjaeger Platoon) to strike back at the French.

V/R,
Jack