The Adventures of Kampfgruppe Klink

Started by bigjackmac, 31 December 2014, 05:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another good report Jack.

Glad the noble Polish tank crew had the sense to retire vs insurmountable odd and got away, maybe a mini-campaign of their own as they retreat then flee to France, then England, then Italy and the Rhine.
Maybe they could become a recurrent nemesis!?? ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

"Maybe they could become a recurrent nemesis!??"

Good Lord, I hope not!  I'll be alright if I never see them again!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

All,

It's 0730, 18 Sept 1939, and the Battle of Kutno is reaching its climax, with this day seeing the heaviest fighting.  The Poles had repeatedly frustrated the German attempt to close the pocket, and aerial reconnaissance had found yet another bridge not disclosed on any German map, so the Kampgruppe's new Executive Officer, 1st Lt Ost, led 1st Motorcycle and 4th Grenadier Platoons, along with two squads of attached engineers and two armored cars, to destroy the bridge.  The intelligence section didn't expect much in the way of opposition; typically, they were wrong, as the Poles were poised to fiercely defend one of the few remaining avenues out of the pocket.

The Germans are led by Lt Ost, then have Lt Weider's 1st Motorcycle Platoon (of Sgt Gradl's 2nd Squad and Cpl Pankau's 3rd Squad), Officer Cadet Vetter's 4th Grenadier Platoon (with Sgt Mader's 1st Squad, Sgt Lehmkuhl's 2nd Squad, and Cpl Imhofe's 3rd Squad), Officer Cadet Distler and Sgt Keck's armored cars, and engineer squads led by Sgt Barkstrom and Sgt Hafl.
The Poles have their CO, an 82mm mortar, two .30 cal MGs, and seven rifle squads (three with anti-tank rifles).

Overview, north is up, Germans are at bottom right (southeast), Poles are spread across the board on blinds (poker chips).

Near calamity in the center, with two knocked out squads, and I lost my commanding officer...

Fierce fighting at the bridge, and my half-ass attempt at flamethrowers ;)

For the whole fight, please visit the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/02/kg-klink-poland-game-13.html

I've got three more write-ups to do.  Notice I said three, because I played the final two games of the Poland campaign (I hope sixteen are enough!).  Stay tuned for more write-ups, then I've got big plans for the upcoming 5Core Brigade Command, some air combat, a return to my FFL campaign, and a similar modern USMC campaign.  I'm sure I won't get to all of that before I return to KG Klink for the France 1940 campaign.

V/R,
Jac

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Fenton

Top batrep. Looks great

My only problem is that I keep transposing the name of the battle in my head and thinking

" That's a rude name for a battle"
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another corker Jack, thanks for sharing! 8)

Techno

bigjackmac

Thanks fellas, you are far too kind  :D :D :D

"That's a rude name for a battle"
What's rude is how the Poles have been treating my kampfgruppe!  Very rude hosts  :P :P

We'll soon see if the French are any kinder to the bumbling troopers of KG Klink!

As an aside, I'm in a bind.  I was looking at my 1940 Allied armor, and here's what I have:
1 Char B
2 Somuas
3 H35/H39
1 Matilda II
1 Cruiser (I forget which mark)
2 Matilda Is
2 Vickers

In order to have large-ish (for me) tank fights, I'll need to field Brits and French on the same table opposite the KG (ahistorical), or buy more Allied tanks (lack of funds).  And if I buy more Allied armor, I'll probably want to buy more German armor, and I don't want to do that because it won't get used (the KG is heading to North Africa after France, not to Barbarossa).

Another consideration is that, given the relatively heavy armor of the allies (Char B, Matilda II, Cruiser, and two Somuas), maybe I don't really need more Allied armor, that the Germans will have hard enough time as it is.

And my last consideration is that, if I'm going to buy more German armor, I'd rather do some 're-organization' of the KG, and buy it for later periods (winter Russia 42-43, and/or more North Africa).

Decisions, decisions...

V/R,
Jack

getagrip

The way your Germans are performing I reckon the Char B could hold of a Panzer division; problem solved  :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Germans just ignored Char Bs and went round, it was easier!
There were join actions between British and French forces, but remember the Germans have Stukas and somewhere in the distance Rommel will be 'instructing' an 88 how to act as an anti-tank gun!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

If you haven't read it, I would recommend 'Panzer Commander' by Von Luck at this point, he was involved in all the campaigns you mention.

Ithoriel

Quote from: mad lemmey on 18 February 2015, 08:32:55 AM
The Germans just ignored Char Bs and went round, it was easier!

Bilotte's "Eure" at Stonne :)

"... withdrew after attacking a German column and destroying two PanzerKampfwagen IV tanks, 11 PanzerKampfwagen IIIs and two PaK 36 anti-tank guns single-handedly."

France's equal of Wittman at Villers-Bocage!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

ronan

Quote from: getagrip on 18 February 2015, 06:56:58 AM
The way your Germans are performing I reckon the Char B could hold of a Panzer division; problem solved  :D

;D

Poor Jack !  ;)

getagrip

Quote from: getagrip on 18 February 2015, 06:56:58 AM

I badly need the modify button; can't believe I misspelt off!!! >:(