Fighting with Featherstone .... again!

Started by Norm, 21 April 2020, 07:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have been looking over an old introduction to wargames type book from Don Featherstone and put his starter scenario on the table.

His rules are discussed, played out and then compared to the Firepower introductory rules by the Perry Brothers.

This has gone into a blog post. LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/04/fighting-with-featherstone-again.html

paulr

As usual a very interesting and thoughtful post :-\

I'm looking forward to the next pair of games :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

parkerm17

I was lucky enough to be one of the coven of elderly wargamers (I was by a long way the youngest), who met in Don Featherstone's loft at his Southampton home to wargame: the rules were pasted on the ceiling and Don decided any disputes, the figures were those seen in Don's books - I remember one huge ancient game with several Roman Legions of Airfix plastic figures against a motley collection of metal barbarians of various sizes - and the painting would shame any modern gamer but we had a lot of fun.   Don  was a great character, a physiotherapist by trade (Southampton FC and Hampshire CCC I think) who  served in the RTR in Italy in WW2: it was an honour and a great pleasure to have known and wargamed with him.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Quote from: parkerm17 on 08 May 2020, 10:37:31 AM
I was lucky enough to be one of the coven of elderly wargamers (I was by a long way the youngest), who met in Don Featherstone's loft at his Southampton home to wargame: the rules were pasted on the ceiling and Don decided any disputes, the figures were those seen in Don's books - I remember one huge ancient game with several Roman Legions of Airfix plastic figures against a motley collection of metal barbarians of various sizes - and the painting would shame any modern gamer but we had a lot of fun.   Don  was a great character, a physiotherapist by trade (Southampton FC and Hampshire CCC I think) who  served in the RTR in Italy in WW2: it was an honour and a great pleasure to have known and wargamed with him.

Nice to have that as part of your wargaming history and giving a very rich area of nostalgia to revisit.

It reminded me of a moment as a young teenager when my mother had spoken with the neighbour about wargames and it turned out that her nephew dabbled and so arrangements were made for him to come over. I set up a table with my plastic Waterloo farmhouse and two badly painted but joyous Airfix armies - he turned up with his contribution, a METAL French cavalry squadron and gun battery with limber ... i was absolutely smitten and would have swapped out my entire collection of millions of boxes :) of Airfix for just a few of those posh metal pieces.