Started by YORSTONS, 30 December 2014, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YORSTONS

Hi folk,

Just finished reading this excellent book, cannot wait for the next one, just had a few questions if anyone can help. What base sizes are used for infantry, cavalry, artillery and command. And can someone recommend a grey for the Austrians, I use mostly vallego paints.

Thanks,
Steve.

Leman

I used Dark Sea Grey for my Austrians. Afraid I don't base my stuff like the book.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Hi Y,

Is the book you are talking about Bruce Weigle's 1866?  If it is, base sizes for 10mm are set out on page 1.  My. Austrian Grey was Citadel's Dawnstone, highlighted with their Fortress Grey.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

YORSTONS

Thanks guy's its the Wargames in History book using the adapted RF&F rules.

Leman

What about using RF&F base sizes?

mollinary

Good news, Yorstons, as in that case, as one of the two authors, I can help. The infantry are all based in fours on 25mm wide by 20mm deep. The cavalry are three to a 30mm square base, the guns are also based on 30mm squares. Commanders are as follows (although you,can base as you wish, it doesn't really matter):
Army Command As many figures as you fancy on a round base. Mine is 50mm;
Corps Command Four figures on a 35mm round base;
Division Commanders Three figures on a 30mm round base;
Brigade Commanders Two figures on a 25mm round base;
Regimental Commanders one figure on a  20mm round base.

Hope this helps - glad you liked the book, and if you have any other questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Mollinary

YORSTONS

Thanks mollinary,
Just what I needed to know, I can start painting now. And, when is the next book out :)

mollinary

We are playing the games at the moment, but I think it will probably be early next year before it hits the streets.

Mollinary

YORSTONS

holdfast

Possibly not I am afraid.
Each game is run twice, each time over two days, and we tend to have a weekend event every month if we are lucky. (Not least because we need multiple players and umpires and the need feeding and sheltering). So with 5 or 6 battles in the book it will take in the order of 10 months, assuming that real life does not intervene.
We try to write up as we go along but there are aspects that have to wait until the battles are done. It is also a sad fact that not every figure for each section of the battle, nor each of the bespoke terrain pieces, is in our hands yet.
Realistically, we are aiming to get it to the printers about this time next year so that it will be available for Salute 2016, which of course is very appropriately the 150th Anniversary.
In the meantime we suggest that you look at Wargaming in History Volume 10 which is the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862 which is from the same stable.

Chad

And the Western Theatre?

Chad

holdfast

Absolutely, almost certainly with Custozza thrown in for good measure. We have walked the ground so all we need to do now is paint the Italians, sculpt the terrain and play the battles. So it might be a moment after 2016!

Leman

This is all sounding very promising. I'm already priming club members for a run at the Valley Campaign battles.

Dave Fielder

2016 ... 150th Annivesary of 1866.

I was wondering what to do after  Waterloo 200.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Steve J

Surely get Agincourt 600th anniversary out of the way first... :-\ ;)