A stroll in the Sudan

Started by Maenoferren, 20 December 2014, 12:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

Well as I now have enough figures painted Mike and I had another bash at 'For Queen and Planet' last night. Apologies for the naff photos I had to used my clapped out Blackberry.

British forces:
Imperial Infantry
Royal Navy
Egyptians
Bashi Bazouki
Royal artillery 9lb
Detachment of Hussars

Dervish
2 rubs of Ansar
1 rub of Hadendowah
Large force of camel mounted warriors
Small force of Hadendowah camelry
Captured 6lb Krupp
Rifle armed Skirmishers

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/Maenoferren/IMG00405-20141218-2005_zps98aebc25.jpg

This photo taken part way through the game with the Dervish infantry swarming towards the British square. to the top of the picture the camels have just attacked the Bashi and caused them to flee

THe mounted scouts failed to spot the large units of infantry in the town and nearby wooded area, thus allowing the British to get close enough for a Dervish  charge against the Hussars.  They took one look at the mass of screaming warriors, turned tail and fled.The British infantry still in line opened up on this failed charge and forced the attackers to retire back into the town

On the far side of the battlefield the Bashi Bazouks were attacked by the camelry and were scattered to the four winds. the camels however came under fire from the artillery, the Egyptian and the RN squares. causing them to retire out of rifle range.

The Hussars reformed and attempted to charge a unit of infantry in the open, they fell short and were counter charged by the unit in the town, wiping them out as they tried to reform.

All three infantry units then advanced on the British square
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/Maenoferren/IMG00409-20141218-2103_zpsf6874ba5.jpg

in this photo the Skirmishers and Krupp have broke cover to  attack the poor Egyptians in Square, the Dervish Commander has had to travel to the far side of the battlefield to get his camelry to get their nerve back and felt ready to charge again. THe RN have formed line, protected by the Egyptian square to their left flank. this way will allow all rifles to fire as the camels come in again.

The three Dervish infantry units are making straight for the British Square.

Luckily for the Anglo British forces... night fell and they survived to tell the tale.

A good little game :)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/Maenoferren/IMG00406-20141218-20071_zpsff243a21.jpg.... the British square about to see off the Dervish attack. If a Joker is drawn any native unit has to charge an enemy unit within 8cm. a native charge is 3d6 +1 (4d6 +1 for mounted troops) however twice I rolled low, fell short and got shot up.

Next time I will take some pictures all the way through and write up a proper AAR.

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Sounds a fun little game with some nice ebb and flow to the action.

Leman

Looked a good game. I take it that For Queen and Planet can be used for purely historical games.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mikeyboy

Yes it can be used for straight historical battles. For anything with a whiff of heatrays I prefer Marian Empires.
Mike my Egyptians turned up this morning. The bashis are superb however I misordered the Egyptians and dont have enough for a brigade.

Maenoferren

How many did you get? Mine are 5 to a base - 4 bases to the battalion..

Nosher

Fab report ;)

Are these rules available elsewhere other than Wargames Vault?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

mikeyboy

I only got 1 pack meant to get 2. I am doing 4 figs on a base 4 bases plus a command per battalion. I will order the big pack in the New Year.

Maenoferren

Quote from: Nosher on 20 December 2014, 04:09:06 PM
Fab report ;)

Are these rules available elsewhere other than Wargames Vault?

I got mine from Wargames vault so not sure if there is anywhere else.

Maenoferren

Quote from: mikeyboy on 20 December 2014, 05:52:15 PM
I only got 1 pack meant to get 2. I am doing 4 figs on a base 4 bases plus a command per battalion. I will order the big pack in the New Year.
I will be ordering some stuff too  :D
I want some Egyptian cavalry to act as  mounted officers... paint some up as Hicks Pasha etc

paulr

Quote from: Maenoferren on 20 December 2014, 10:35:39 PM
I will be ordering some stuff too  :D
I want some Egyptian cavalry to act as  mounted officers... paint some up as Hicks Pasha etc

Didn't you say your Sudan project was finished... ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Maenoferren

does half a dozen cavalry count lol :-\

Techno

Great report and pics......Said he, rather belatedly.  :-[
Cheers - Phil