Which rules for ACW

Started by Ironduke, 19 December 2014, 11:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironduke

Hi chaps, what's your preferred rules for ACW, was looking at larger battles and smaller scale minis
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Luddite

Fire and Fury.  Accept no substitutes.  It is THE ACW ruleset.

:D

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/ACW
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Womble67

We play with black powder and find it perfect for ACW. There is supposed to be a supplement coming out sometime as well.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

sdennan

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shecky

My preferred ACW rules are Altar of Freedom.  They are grand tactical scale where players represent army or corps commanders. You can refight the big battles such as Gettysburg or Shiloh in a reasonable amount of time on a 6x4' table. Emphasis is more on commanders' ability to influence a battle.

Leman

Regimental Fire & Fury for my 15mm (which also get involved in Longstreet campaigns) and Altar of Freedom with my 6mm for full big battles.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

Depending on which players and what style of game either:
Blackpowder - generic, no fuss, leisurely
Longstreet - card driven, mini campaign, fast and clean
They Couldn't Hit an Elephant - big battle period feel

But it's probably my least favourite period (that I actually play / have figures and rules for)  :-\

sunjester

Fire and Fury (the original not the Regimental version).

They Couldn't Hit an Elephant gives a good game as well.

KTravlos

I have read, but not played, Altar of Freedom.

I like what I read. A big big plus for me, is that the creators have tried to accommodate players with little space and time. With two 160 page scenario booklets (about 36 battles), and scenarios for 3x3, 4x4 and 6x4 tables, this system is godsend for people like me. But I cannot say much about the actual gameplay until I run a game.

On Black Powder. I like the system. As long as you are willing to put some time into thinking through the army lists (though ready made ones are available in the rulebook) it can give a good game. You can play at any level of command as long as you decide what a unit represents (in your case either regiment or brigade), and adjust formation options as needed (though I dare say at both level line, mixed formation and column are all you will need).

That is my cant!

Leman

For Black Powder enthusiasts might I recommend 'Crucible of Valour', a properly developed set of rules for use with Black Powder, which can be found in the e-magazine 'ACW Gamer' issue 1. It includes many optional rules for both sides, including the Rebel Yell and an extensive section on using ACW artillery in Black Powder, as well as unit stats for various ACW units and a played through scenario showing how the adaptations work.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

NTM

Longstreet for me but it's not big battle

T13A

Hi Ironduke

Fire and Fury give a great game and feel for the period. That said, for 6mm figures and limited time then Altar of Freedom.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Jim Ando

Fire and fury.

Great rule system.

they were out or print but don`t if you can get them now.

My copy is completely knackered so wouldn`t mind a new set.

Jim