1862 Shenandoah Campaign

Started by holdfast, 18 December 2014, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holdfast

Volume 10 of Wargaming in History, Jackson's 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign, arrived back from the printers today. A bodice-ripper for your Christmas list.

wurrukatte

And a right stunning tome it is.  :D

W

Leman

As a RF&F player I hope this will prove a good buy. Is this the rules system adopted?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

As I played in some of the games I can confirm that RF&F were the rules used for the vast majority of the games. That said, there was a rather spiffing "Bagging Jackson" skirmish game using TFL's Terrible Sharp Sword.  :D

Mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Maybe that could be adapted to Smooth and Rifled?

mollinary

Don't know those rules, DP, but I see no reason why not.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

holdfast

Hi Dour Puritan, we certainly used RF&F throughout except for the skirmish game. We included an appendix at the end on the various tweaks that we made to the rules, and why we did so. For instance, in some cases we gave a 'first volley' advantage, but not in others. Schenck's troops at McDowell are rated down as a result of unaccustomed hard marching to join Milroy. Fremont's cavalry at Cross Keys are decidedly worn out and down to their last apple. The tweaks aim to make the rules more specific to the armies in the Valley in 1862. Each chapter includes discussion as to which tweaks are appropriate in this battle, obviously you can make your own mind up as to whether the amendments are right for your games.

That said, Richard Brown was down to the last 27 copies 3 days before Christmas so I would advise you not to dither too much.

Leman

Now ordered. Thanks very much for the extra info.

holdfast

I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed staging the games.

Leman

Well I got a real buzz out of the 1866 book so a fine precedent has been set.

holdfast

We have started to do the games for the Koniggratz book and it is set to rip even more bodices before it is done. We are in the middle of the Holawald fight and now understand why the wicked Prussky had some slight difficulty.

Leman

Sounds like it will be  another right rivetin' read (courtesy of The Sun).

holdfast

If you were local you could come look but its a long way from Liverpool on an OAP bus pass I guess.

Leman

They won't let me have that particular pass for another three years. For now I have to pay my way onward from Chester.